You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-26 19:07:53

KresentPhresh

Corrupt IMGs for USB Installation

Okay, um... I don't really get it, cuz apparently the files work for plenty of other people, but... I dunno.

Alright, so I downloaded the USB Thumb Stick file (arch-2008.06-ftp-i686.img AND arch-2008.06-core-i686.img) and all I'm trying to do is BROWSE it so I can pull some files off it and put them on my already-created GRUB-loaded USB Thumb Stick. Basically I already have a bootable USB thumb drive that I have a handful of different net-installers for various Linux distros, and they all work without a problem thus far. I managed to successfully get the ISO version of the Arch-Linux installer copied to the thumb drive and I was able to boot it and whatnot, but apparently it checks for installation media from an actual CD-ROM, and since that isn't present (since I'm installing via USB), I have to find another route.

So I'm trying to use the IMG Files that have been provided, but every single program I attempt to open it with on my OS X 10.5.4 system generates a "No Mountable File Systems" or an "Unrecognized Filesystem" error. I've tried DDing the file directly to a second thumb-stick so I could try and browse the contents after the dump, but it renders the thumbstick unrecognizable as well. I've tried burning it to a disk, I've tried opening it with Stuffit, I've tried opening it on a co-worker's MacBook, and I keep getting the same errors.

I understand this may be a corruption in JUST that specific file, but it's not just one file, it's every single version of it - I've got 10 different copies of the ftp-i686.img all from different mirrors, and a couple different core-i686.dmg copies, and they all yield me the same error. However, everyone else seems to have had no problem running this file in the past and a search on the forums isn't turning me up any information on this issue.

Can anyone try downloading the file and verifying that it will open in OS X?

#2 2008-08-27 08:51:05

byte

Re: Corrupt IMGs for USB Installation

The .img file contains an MBR, a partition table and an Ext2 filesystem. You can't mount that directly. Have a look at mkusbimg in http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=archiso.git;a=tree to see how it's being created. I didn't test it, but the -o (offset) option from losetup looks like it could help.

Last edited by byte (2008-08-27 08:51:45)

#3 2008-08-27 21:07:52

KresentPhresh

Re: Corrupt IMGs for USB Installation

Alright, so...

...I DD'd the .IMG file directly to another thumb drive I dug up and it boots up and does everything as needed. Everything's great.

So now I just gotta figure out how to extract those files out of the .IMG, but in the meantime, at least I can install the software. I'll figure the first one out on my own.

Anyway, thanks.

Board footer