You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-27 16:07:43

Alethasis

Kernel panic

My error reads:

kinit: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
kinit: opening console: Permission denied
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

Prior to this, I was attempting to get my laptop to "suspend".  Using pm-utils I edited /boot/grub/menu.lst adding resume=/dev/sda1 (sda1 being my swap partition).

I then realized my swap partition was only 1 gb, and I have 2 gb of RAM.  However, I could successfully suspend, and re-awake my computer.

Next, and unrelated, I attempted to pacman a pidgin package that ended up being corrupt, which it informed me, and gave me the option to remove the package, which I did.

Finally I did a full system update "# pacman -Syu"

I wanted to reboot to run with the updates, and with the first reboot, it (as you might have guessed) rebooted into my stored RAM from my last test "suspend".  So I went back into the /boot/grub/menu.lst and removed the added line.  I want to say I removed it perfectly, but I was a bit hasty and could admittedly have accidently deleted a space or something.

Upon my next reboot attempt, I received my error.

I am very new to linux, and though I understand and learn quickly, I am not practiced enough to be able to work entirely on my own.

Thanks a ton,

-Alethasis

#2 2008-08-27 16:32:38

Shaika-Dzari
Website

Re: Kernel panic

Hello!

When you start your computer and see grub splash view, you can edit an entry by pressing "e" (edit).
Check the root line or copy it here if you are not sure.
When you are done, press enter and "b" (boot).

Did you try to boot on fallback kernel?

@+

#3 2008-08-27 16:48:03

Alethasis

Re: Kernel panic

Here are all 3 lines:

root     (hd0,1)
kernel   /vmlinuz26-custom root=/dev/sda5 ro
initrd   /kernel26-custom.img

I am running off of a custom kernel I created for a game I play.  I had a lot of help creating it though.  In trying to boot off of my original kernel, or the fallback kernel, I receive the same error.  I meant to put that in my original message.

Thanks for the instructions, and help :)

-Alethasis

EDIT:  seeing these lines now, it seems I did not mess up in deleted the "resume..." line.  Perhaps it was my system update that is causing dependency problems?

Last edited by Alethasis (2008-08-27 16:58:57)

Board footer