You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-29 03:38:53

patrix

gnome menu updating

hm, I don't know if this is normal behaviour for the gnome applications menu - in KDE on debian however, when I installed a new KDE program the new item appeared in the K menu.

Now in GNOME, if I install, say, Evolution, it should appear in the Office submenu, but it doesn't show until I log in again or just bluntly kill gnome-panel and let it restart.

Is there any way to skip either of those steps? Or is that the default gnome behaviour, that menus aren't updated till the panel is restarted (yuck!)?

#2 2004-08-29 04:12:41

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Re: gnome menu updating

hm, I don't know if this is normal behaviour for the gnome applications menu - in KDE on debian however, when I installed a new KDE program the new item appeared in the K menu.

Perhaps KDE is no different than GNOME, and debian just invisibly refreshed it for you.
AFAIK, all menu systems are cached, due to the inefficiency of not caching them, so yes, this is how gnome behaves, and if I remember correctly (I havent used gnome in ages) it was always like that.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#3 2004-08-29 04:22:32

patrix

neotuli wrote:

Perhaps KDE is no different than GNOME, and debian just invisibly refreshed it for you.
AFAIK, all menu systems are cached, due to the inefficiency of not caching them, so yes, this is how gnome behaves, and if I remember correctly (I havent used gnome in ages) it was always like that.

nah, even when I built KDE myself from source it would act like I described.

That's a shortcoming of gnome if it's the default behaviour, but discussion about this belongs on gnome forums unless there's an actual fix already smile

#4 2004-08-29 21:25:16

patrix

yep, even in arch linux kde menus get updated without having to restart the panel...

#5 2004-08-29 23:31:19

patrix

ahhhhhhhh.

I edited /etc/rc.conf, added portmap and fam to the list of daemons that should be run at start up, I started up  /etc/rc.d/portmap and /etc/rc.d/fam, and now the gnome menu is being updated!

I knew there was a way to do it! big_smile

#6 2004-08-30 03:30:12

KalephOne

Very nice!
Thanks for sharing how you did it big_smile

Kaleph
jabber: kaleph@jabber.org

Board footer