You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-29 04:57:12

thetrivialstuff

vmware USB 2.0 and sound performance issues

I'm not sure if this is a problem in the current kernel or the current version of vmware, but ever since I upgraded to kernel 2.6.26 and vmware 6.0.4 (from 6.0.2 I think), my scanner can't work at full speed anymore. I used to be able to scan at 600 DPI just fine; now it scans in small chunks and seems to be waiting for the system to catch up on data transfer.

Also, I could play StarCraft in the VM at a speed that felt seamless while I had background music playing in another media player (also in the VM, since vmware hasn't evolved to use alsa yet), with no skipping in the music. Now, mouse motion in SC is choppy and the music skips during battles and other high-motion situations.

I've found that switching the guest to use only a single CPU (I have a dual core P4) has vastly improved things, to the point that I can play StarCraft again and scan at 300 DPI (600 is still jittery).

Does that mean there's some kind of issue with the CPU scheduler, or is it more likely a vmware problem? Is there anything I can do that might improve this further, like switching CPU schedulers or some such?

Any suggestions appreciated,

~Felix.

Board footer