You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-23 12:15:15

weakhead
Website

[solved] Openbox - fail to change icon theme in gtkrc-2.0

Hi there.
I'm using Openbox under Arch Linux and have quite annoying problem with changing my GTK icon theme.
To define icon theme, I use .gtkrc-2.0 theme. Icons are changing, but in place of some icons I see red X-sign, and terminal show bugs, that app can't load certain icon(those. that are now "X"). I've used Fluxbox and also defined icon theme in /gtkrc-2.0 file, but everything was fine.

My gtkrc-2.0:

include "/usr/share/themes/ClearlooksHumanCompact/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
gtk-icon-theme-name = "gnome-human"
# include "/home/kant/.gtkrc.mine"

I've hashed "include" line for gtkrc.mine(where I also defined icon theme), because it did not resolve my problem. Also, changing themes with xfce-mcs-manager or gnome-settings-daemon does not solve my problem. The only icon themes that I can use safely, are "gnome" and "Tango" themes. I have icon-naming-utils installed (required by "gnome" icon theme).
I've heard, that I can define default icon theme in .Xdefaults, by I don't know how.

Did anyone had such problem and solved it?

Last edited by weakhead (2008-08-24 14:34:24)

#2 2008-08-23 13:08:30

hk2717

Re: [solved] Openbox - fail to change icon theme in gtkrc-2.0

Well, are you sure that you installed the original gnome icon theme? Gnome-human depends on this one. If you didn't, it will miss a lot of icons.

#3 2008-08-23 13:50:52

weakhead
Website

I've installed gnome-icon-theme from Arch Extra repo (and Tango-icon-theme, Tango-icon-theme-extras, xfce4-icon-theme, hicolor-icon-theme and icon-naming-utils).
When I've used any valid icon theme(and those collected by me are for sure - from gnome-look, was tested on Ubuntu many times), missing icons were replaced by gnome or tango theme... now I have red "X"...

here's a screenshot:
screenoi2.th.jpg

Last edited by weakhead (2008-08-23 14:11:35)

#4 2008-08-23 14:11:24

mrunion
Website

Mine works as well, and I didn't "include" the theme like you did on line one.  Here's what mine looks like (using Glider theme and ClearlooksOSX icons -- and I have no .gtkrc.mine file):

include "/usr/share/themes/Glider/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

gtk-icon-theme-name="ClearlooksOSX"

style "user-font" {
    font_name = "Tahoma 8"
}

widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-font-name="Tahoma 8"

include "/home/mrunion/.gtkrc.mine"

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#5 2008-08-23 14:26:07

weakhead
Website

@mrunion - not working...

#6 2008-08-23 15:55:42

weakhead
Website

See screenshot above...
I've tried to do to gtk-update-icon-cache thing... after that, all missing files were replaced by gnome theme, but... I've did it to gnome-human theme, whitch I used before several times on Ubuntu and openSUSE and it did not needed such thing(Fluxbox WM) and many other themes as well... jeez, I doubd it is Arch's fault, but something is messed up and I don't even know what. Besides, I've checked gnome-human's files and there was folder icons(but in svg), which was replaced by original gnome's in png - nothing like this should even happen...
What is wrong?

#7 2008-08-24 11:06:34

weakhead
Website

Refreshing, again.
I've copied "gnome" and "gnome-human" theme's folders to my home folder and copied icons from "gnome-human" to "gnome" (and replaced them) - icons names were correc, I also used original Gnome's index.theme file, so everything supposed to be fine, but it's not! I have rights to read/write for /usr/share/icons, bu it looks just like my system is not allowing me to use icon themes other, than those installed with Arch repo, even if file names are correct... strange.

EDIT: well, the problem was... pcmanfm and the way he copied/moved files! Pcmanfm sometimes behaved strange when moving files, but I'd never expected him to make such problem...
Every icon theme have shortcuts which pointed to existing icon file - somehow, moving folder with whole theme with pcmafm made those shortcuts loose their path! I've tried to do the same with Thunar - everything work well now.

Last edited by weakhead (2008-08-24 14:34:02)

#8 2008-08-29 11:59:34

dmz
Website

I have the exact same problem. weakhead - don't quite know what you ment with your last post, but I tried using thunar instead of pcmanfm. Copied the icons from my desktop to /usr/share/themes and tried to change it in lxappearance, nothing happens though.

#9 2008-08-29 15:26:44

weakhead
Website

PCManFM made shortcut's links broken after moving them from one place to other with (entire theme, of course).

Board footer