You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-30 02:02:35

katyl

Can't boot from USB (trying the "old way")

Hey guys smile
I'm trying to install arch on my new g netbook. I'm not finding much out online for this, but I've made a bit of headway so I think I'm in a good position to get this started. I've tried the simple copying over the EXT2 filesystem and the like from the .img and it's a nogo. Operating system not found or boots to HDD depending on the boot order. Out of trying to get anything other than the default OS to work, I've found that the slackware's .img works and the difference from what I can tell is the filesystem (the slackware is a fat filesystem). So I'm trying the old way from http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … _USB_stick which is copying over the files from the ISO to a preformated fat16 file system to the USB drive. Seems like it'd work rather well imho. But the steps listed are rather confusing seeing as what I have on my system isn't matching up.

1) First bit I want to make sure of is that "3. Get the arch-base install ISO from www.archlinux.org " from what I see refers to the core .iso image seeing as the loopback mount would fail w/ the .img, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.
2) when I mount the ISO as a loop an LS gives me "addons  archlive.sqfs  boot  boot.catalog" However the "Copy boot information" step has me "cd /mnt/usb/isolinux/" which from what I see won't be there at all because its' not a file that was copied over seeing as it doesn't exist.

In short... I'm pulling my hair out. Any help?

#2 2008-08-30 02:42:52

katyl

Re: Can't boot from USB (trying the "old way")

Thought I'd post the resolution that I came too. After playing around, I found unetbootin, which I installed on another system. Formated it using fat via mkdosfs, and ran the program, which didn't reformat, copied the files over and it worked. I'd still like to know what I was doing wrong if anyone has input.

Board footer