You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-24 20:45:46

arDAWG

Samba died....

I did an upgrade last night...added "unstable" to pacman repo's so I could get the latest kernel (to fix the cd burning issue) & I swear (unless sleep depriv. is causing me to imagine it) that samba was upgraded. Anyways, now when I select Windows Network I get this error message:
"smb:///" is not a valid location.
Any ideas???
It was working before...i.e., I could connect to my 2 other Windows computers & browse the shared folders.

#2 2004-08-24 21:50:36

sarah31
Website

Re: Samba died....

i don't know a solution to your problem but it sounds like you has the same problem as me. I had gone back to kernel 2.6.7 in order to have proper burning capabilities and had added the kernel to my IgnorePkg = array in pacman.conf. I know it worked but the one thing I forgot was that just before i updated last night i updated pacman which wiped my pacman.conf and, thusly, the ignore line for the kernel26.

thankfully this current kernel works ok for me. but i am not about to get rid of my 2.6.7 bpkg just incase there are more bugs with this pile o crap 2.6.8.1 kernel (how the hell could they release this kernel?)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-08-24 22:04:56

kakabaratruskia

sarah31 wrote:

thankfully this current kernel works ok for me. but i am not about to get rid of my 2.6.7 bpkg just incase there are more bugs with this pile o crap 2.6.8.1 kernel (how the hell could they release this kernel?)

Totally agree....

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#4 2004-08-24 22:33:11

cs25x

why not use sudo for burning?
with visudo, you add a line like:

foo ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/cdrecord,/usr/bin/cdrdao, ..., ...

to /etc/sudoers and user foo can always burn without the pacman or kernel problems. In general sudo is better than suid because it gives you control over who gets what.

--(*(cs25x--));

#5 2004-08-24 22:39:27

arDAWG

I "upgraded" to 2.6.8.1-3 last nite to fix my burning issues as user (the memory hemmorage). Now samba is kaput. It's not a big loss...& it could be Windows simply dropping the computer from the network...wouldn't be the 1st time that's happened. I've had more than a few issues w/ MS's fabulous home networking. It's not really like I need to transfer a buncha files from the Windows boxes, just nice to know it's working (just in case). wink

**EDIT** You posted that as I was typing this up. Can't do sudo, haven't installed it. I've never messed w/ sudo...guess I could give that a go. I tried sudo yum update once in FC2 when I first installed it & was told I was not a sudoer & this incident would be reported.... I never went back as root & set up my user account as a "sudoer." Guess it's time I learn the in's & outs of sudo...but the Windows network is not something I'm gonna lose sleep over....i.e., I don't want Windows tainting my Linux install. Seriously, tho, this is a dual boot machine...if I need something off one of the other machines I can just log into XP & copy it over.

#6 2004-08-24 23:23:08

sarah31
Website

cs25x wrote:

why not use sudo for burning?
with visudo, you add a line like:

foo ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/bin/cdrecord,/usr/bin/cdrdao, ..., ...

to /etc/sudoers and user foo can always burn without the pacman or kernel problems. In general sudo is better than suid because it gives you control over who gets what.

i always burn using sudo except when I am burning a dvd with growisofs which does not like sudo.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2004-08-25 00:29:37

cs25x

Never understimate the bandwidth of a CD-RW

--(*(cs25x--));

#8 2004-08-25 02:25:46

sarah31
Website

cs25x wrote:

Never understimate the bandwidth of a CD-RW

eh? i doubt a cd-rw can hold nearly 4.7 GB of data tongue

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#9 2004-08-25 05:47:59

cs25x

man split
and they come in packs  of  5 or 10

--(*(cs25x--));

#10 2004-08-25 06:42:57

sarah31
Website

um my data files are usually at least 1.2 gb. besides why would i use 5-10 cdrw's when i could use 1 dvd? this is the reason i got a dvd burner in the first place.

besides this is not addressing the weak kernel nor this member's problem with a failed package. I told him I am not sure how he can fix it other than maybe dropping back to 2.6.7.

i further said that i do not burn as user except when burning to a dvd in which case I use growisofs which cannot run using sudo. i needed the patch to use growisofs. i spent money on a dvd burner not to sit here and burn cd(rw)s. i suppose i could get on the case of the dvd+rw-tools developers to allow growisofs to run under root/sudo. likely though they have a reason for doing it the way they do.

the member here also has a desire to burn as user. while i don't recommend it it is his choice.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#11 2004-08-25 12:39:24

arDAWG

Sudo will work for cd burning (when logged in as user), but I have the same issue as you. Just purchased an NEC dual layer dvd burner & dvd burning is a no-go w/ sudo k3b...k3b reports it cannot find growisofs. I don't often need to burn large files or big chunks of data, but I'd rather just use dvd's (since the Ridata are about $.47/ea. @ Newegg) if I can (which I can now...but no samba). wink The samba is definitely borked b/c I logged into XFCE & under its file manager I can load the Windows Network---or it sees the other computers, but then it just blanks the list...so it's some kinda bug (I've checked & rechecked all my settings---smb.conf, rc.conf, rc.local to make sure I didn't change anything, commented new additions out, took dnsmasq out of the daemons list, uninstalled & reinstalled samba....all to no avail). And it did work fine before. Guess I'll just hang for now, b/c burning dvd's/ cd's is more important than accessing the Windows network. Only thing I might copy over would be mp3's or .avi's. I don't use my home computers for anything business related other than ordering parts from Newegg for computer builds & such...so it's not critical, just a nice feature to have working (as it did before...  roll ). And it's definitely not Windows SOHO flaking, b/c I logged into XP on this very computer (1st time in awhile, btw) & I could access both of the other Windows boxes (2K & another XP  box).

#12 2004-08-25 15:28:15

sarah31
Website

perhaps there is some change you have to apply to your config files as a result of the new kernel? You could go back to the last kernel that worked for you. test it and if samba work then i would say that there is some problem either with the kernel/samba configs or samba perhaps needs to be rebuild against the newer kernel

sorry i don't know anything about samba. have you checked out google.com/linux for possible solutions or if others had this issue?

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#13 2004-08-30 18:28:32

oscar

sarah31 wrote:

(how the hell could they release this kernel?)

This is one of the better kernels I have ever used!
My ACPI works all the way on my laptop, without using the special omnibook kernel module (people with hp omnibooks - look at sf.net/projects/omke)...and that is freakning great!

To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password.

Board footer