You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-31 00:25:23

tomk
Forum Fellow

xdm won't start

So.. following on from my last thread, I've now got xdm coming up at boot. I've got .xsession in $HOME, basically a copy of .xinitrc, which works fine with startx.

But nothing happens. I put my username and password into xdm, the screen goes blank for a few seconds - and then xdm comes back up. No xfce4.

.xsession-errors says "command not found" for all the xfce4 startup commands.

Any ideas, anyone?

#2 2004-08-31 00:32:07

patrix

Re: xdm won't start

I don't run xdm or xfce4, so I haven't encountered your problem, but here are a few hypotheseseseseses that might help:

is .xsession executable?

Are the xfce4 commands in the path? Maybe xdm doesn't have the same $PATH as you have when you log in console then startx. If that's the case, try adding this at the top of your .xsession:

PATH=$PATH:/path/to/xfce4/bin

(a simple "which xfce4-whatever" in the console should tell you where they are)

If those 2 are not it, then... someone else will know I'm sure smile

#3 2004-08-31 02:02:05

mctavish

I've been there.

From memory xdm for some reason doesn't run the /etc/profile file which sets up your xfce4 paths. Or something like that, I'm not in linux right now so I can't check. There is a thread about this though.

Originally I thought it was just me with this but as it clearly isn't a bug should probably be raised.

#4 2004-08-31 12:01:19

tomk
Forum Fellow

Yes, I figured it was something to do with the path, but both the user and root path already include /opt/xfce4/bin.

Anyway, I tried patrix's suggestion of specifying it in .xsession, and it worked.

Definitely something odd there, but at least it's working. Time to see about that bug report.........

#5 2004-08-31 13:46:54

bogomipz

Nothing you start from /etc/inittab will have /etc/profile sourced. To fix that, you could have used a wrapper script, or you could've started xdm as a daemon (/etc/rc.d/xdm) because those are started from an environment where profile is sourced.

This has come up before when GDM has been started from inittab. Maybe Arch should discourage use of runlevel 5, and encourage use of /etc/rc.d/xdm and the like?

All of your mips are belong to us!!

#6 2004-08-31 21:34:29

mctavish

If every other distro going around uses run levels to run dms, why doesn't arch? Is this an oversight (=bug) or by design?

If by design, I think the doco should make this clear - as you imply bogomipz.

Board footer