You are not logged in.

#1 2003-06-14 03:22:17

nehsa

Speeding up gnome

Does anyone have any tips for speeding up Gnome?  I installed it using pacman -S `ls -al`.  Only other thing I've done to try and improve speed was install the latest nvidia drivers.

Trying to play a movie using gmplayer and it keeps popping up that my system is to slow which isn't the case.  Gnome also flickers and stuff when you maximize stuff.

#2 2003-06-14 05:18:16

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Speeding up gnome

You might want to check out hdparm.  Just be careful with it.  Wouldn't want to blow anything up...

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2003-06-20 20:02:34

dariball
Website

u also could use the X font server : xfs

man xfs will help u, it helps a bit with the speed but don't _that_ much

nothing,
maybe I have a perfect signature _someday_

#4 2003-06-20 23:47:06

hApy
Website

things that I've done that have helped a bit:

use alsa if you aren't already. that will help, and also (at least for me) it will help sync up the sound with the movie alot more (so you don't hear people talk before they open their mouth lol)

recompile gmplayer with alsa support (edit the PKGCONFIG file). this will also tailor it to your specific machine a bit more: enables MMX, MMX2, 3DNow, 3dNowEx, SSE, etc etc, whatever your machine is capable of.

make sure you allow access to "/dev/rtc" so it can use that instead of a slower software method.

enable direct rendering under video, and try playing around with the available video output drivers you can choose from such as Xv, x11, xvidix, etc.

if you are using a nvidia card enable "RenderAccel" in your XF86Config file.

check out this link it has an article on finetuning MPlayer:

http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/747/

Hapy.

#5 2003-06-21 21:09:53

apeiro
Daddy
Website

good tips, Hapy.   smile

Board footer