You are not logged in.

#151 2008-08-28 10:05:59

oew

Re: Acer Aspire One

thomasd wrote:
SleepyDog wrote:

My mtrr table (cat /proc/mtrr) looks like this:
(It would be useful to see if mine is unique)

Mine is identical. I get only ~291 in glxgears with all the tweaks, btw.

Mine is also identical, and I get ~900 in glxgears.

oew

there's no place like ~/

#152 2008-08-28 10:21:48

AndyRTR
Developer

make sure your user is in group "video" to have dri permission!

#153 2008-08-28 15:52:15

SleepyDog

I'm in group video, and direct rendering is enabled. The problem I'm reffering to is in Xorg.0.log:

(WW)intel(0): Failed to set up write-combining range (0x20000000, 0x10000000)

Also, glxgears is not a benchmark. I get ~900FPS as well, but at 90% CPU usage. When I try to play a remotely graphics intensive game it's very choppy.

Last edited by SleepyDog (2008-08-28 15:53:13)

#154 2008-08-28 22:12:43

ichbinesderelch

anyone knows what modules to load for lm_sensors? sensors-detect just says no modules found.. so just missing support?

#155 2008-08-29 08:55:30

gothicknight

ichbinesderelch, as far as i know, there's no sensor support in the laptop sad

#156 2008-08-29 09:17:48

ichbinesderelch

yeps, what i found out is that the atom cpu isn support right now, there seems to be a patch written and tested, so it will be supported soon i guess.

#157 2008-08-29 10:08:44

KimTjik

My wife has "forced" me to buy one of these; my resistance wasn't worth the name though! Hence I made a search and had this as a starting point: http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/08/16/ … ard-drive/

There's also a part about blue-tooth and one about adding RAM. What interested me most though was the easiness of changing hard-drive since the Aspire One uses a standard ZIP connection, which means that we've got both SSD and standard hard-drive as an option. I just looked at the prices for SSD, and a switch to 16GB would still only cost 50 % of what the extra cash for the XP version (a 60GB 1.8" rotating hard-drive would cost about 60%).

My point isn't that I propose an immediate switch, but it made me wonder whether we really have to be so afraid of extra writing to the default SSD. I'm actually starting to be interested in choosing JFS and SWAP (even though tuning of log files and so forth will be applied) and take the risk - or if put differently: making the experiment - of letting the SSD die a premature death.

What thoughts do you have on this?

Last edited by KimTjik (2008-08-29 10:10:05)

#158 2008-08-29 11:51:08

stavrosg
Website

KimTjik wrote:

My point isn't that I propose an immediate switch, but it made me wonder whether we really have to be so afraid of extra writing to the default SSD. I'm actually starting to be interested in choosing JFS and SWAP (even though tuning of log files and so forth will be applied) and take the risk - or if put differently: making the experiment - of letting the SSD die a premature death.

What thoughts do you have on this?

The SSD's performance is barely adequate for my taste, so a 4GB Trascend 300x (45MB/sec read/write) CF and a CF-to-ZIF converter are already on their way to me from Hong Kong. I already have 16GB SD for /home and stuff. I also ordered a 1.8" ZIF-to-USB enclosure to put the ssd into a more appropriate use lol

I agree with you though - generally, the prices for replacements are so low that it makes little sense to put extraodrinary effort to preserve the already included disk.

#159 2008-08-29 11:52:52

apaige

Swapping is *slow*. And with the SSD being quite slow itself, I suggest you choose a filesystem that allows you to store the journal log on another device (e.g. an SD card). I've been thinking about trying just that with XFS.

#160 2008-08-30 01:19:27

JesusRifle

Hey thomasd thanks for the help and I now have a working arch install smile One problem is after using wicd I can either have the wireless or the wired working. I think it may be a problem with what modules / deamons i am using in /etc/rc.conf would you mind posting yours?

Thanks again, by the way this thing is great for full screen firefox smile

#161 2008-09-01 07:58:35

thomasd

JesusRifle wrote:

Hey thomasd thanks for the help and I now have a working arch install smile One problem is after using wicd I can either have the wireless or the wired working. I think it may be a problem with what modules / deamons i am using in /etc/rc.conf would you mind posting yours?

This is my rc.conf. Note that I manage all networking with netcfg, therefore no eth0 in rc.conf. The line NETWORKS=... is only needed if you use netcfg. I never tried to have wireless and wired at the same time:

LOCALE="en_US.utf8"
HARDWARECLOCK="UTC"
USEDIRECTISA="no"
TIMEZONE="Europe/Berlin"
KEYMAP="de-latin1-nodeadkeys"
CONSOLEFONT=
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"

MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes"
MODULES=(acpi-cpufreq cpufreq_ondemand cpufreq_powersave r8169 ath_pci 
!ath5k ath_hal wlan fuse !memstick usblp)

HOSTNAME="one"

NETWORKS=(menu)

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng @cpufreq hal net-profiles @crond @cups)

#162 2008-09-01 10:31:03

gothicknight

I'm having some problems with networkmanager detecting connection in eth0 and consequently requesting DHCP, although there isn't any. Do you have some issue like this?

Regarding the corruption in the SD, it was because of the SD card being of poor quality. I've bought a new one from toshiba (even for the same price 10€) and no problems so far smile

#163 2008-09-01 10:57:22

thomasd

Good news for the Skype users: The internal microphone is now working for me. I did not change anything. Maybe the recent Kernel update to 2.6.26.3 included some changes to alsa...

#164 2008-09-01 13:16:05

thomasd

I found some more links, which may be of interest for some:

A perl script to control the fan speed:
http://wiki.aspireone.net/index.php/How … _noisy_fan

Some hints for getting lm_sensors working:
http://wiki.aspireone.net/index.php/How … lm_sensors

I didn't try any of these, just posting the links.

#165 2008-09-01 21:13:45

qylvaran

I'm in the middle of getting Arch running, and the issue I've run up against is rather odd.  I've got my left SD card mounted as /home using the line from the wiki:

UUID=____-____  /home      vfat  users,rw,umask=111,dmask=000  0  0

It mounts okay and all, but some programs can't write to it without being run as root.  So far I've tried mercurial and firefox.  Mercurial worked as root, but I haven't tried firefox except as the end user.  Thing is, everyone should have write permissions to the card.  What's the deal?  Firefox pops up an error message, but the long and short of it is that it needs to write a profile but it can't, and it thinks that maybe it doesn't have write permissions to the user's home folder.  Note that I also tried changing umask to 000, and it still doesn't help.  EDIT - Also, mkdir and vim have no trouble making new directories and files.

Also, the ethernet has about a 50% chance of not working every time I start the machine (latest regular arch kernel as of yesterday, and proper module entry in rc.conf), and I can think of nothing I've done differently between the times it works and the times it doesn't.  This is currently lower priority than the other issue, but it's next on the list (or off the list entirely once I get wireless going).  EDIT - Installed the custom "One" kernel, and wifi is working, so I don't care about eth0 at the moment.

I'm eagerly awaiting suggestions, though I'm surprised these issues haven't been brought up by other people following the wiki.

Last edited by qylvaran (2008-09-01 22:53:27)

#166 2008-09-02 07:29:47

thomasd

qylvaran wrote:

I've got my left SD card mounted as /home using the line from the wiki:

UUID=____-____  /home      vfat  users,rw,umask=111,dmask=000  0  0

It mounts okay and all, but some programs can't write to it without being run as root.  So far I've tried mercurial and firefox.  Mercurial worked as root, but I haven't tried firefox except as the end user.  Thing is, everyone should have write permissions to the card.  What's the deal?  Firefox pops up an error message, but the long and short of it is that it needs to write a profile but it can't, and it thinks that maybe it doesn't have write permissions to the user's home folder.  Note that I also tried changing umask to 000, and it still doesn't help.  EDIT - Also, mkdir and vim have no trouble making new directories and files.

Try

UUID=____-____  /home      vfat  users,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0113,dmask=0002  0  0

This worked better for me. However, the user with uid 1000 is now always set as the owner of the files. So this is not an option if you have more than one user. Please report if you have success with this version, the wiki should then be modified.

Recently I switched to ext2 for my /home card because I had trouble with the fixed rights on vfat. I use SSH a lot and it wants your private RSA key stored in your home-dir with read-rights only for security reasons. But this is impossible if you want write access to the other files in your home-dir.

#167 2008-09-03 00:35:43

qylvaran

Thanks, this works.  I'm probably going to switch over to ext2, however, since I do plan to use SSH as well.

#168 2008-09-03 03:03:12

JesusRifle

Hey guys still having problems with my network. I am now back to using no network manager at all, back to the basics. I hoped this would work but I'm still getting some very strange results. Changes to the ordering of MODULES and DAEMONS in rc.conf seem to disable and enable it when I reboot. The only Daemons I'm using are the standard 4 and hal (still not sure on if i need this yet) I am using a few modules but you all know my hardware so could anyone tell me what should be enabled / disabled up there. I have followed the wiki installing a standard arch system with xorg and alsa working so far. There is either some bug here or my hardware is broken. Please help me sort this out, I'm out of options.

#169 2008-09-03 07:54:09

thomasd

qylvaran wrote:

Thanks, this works.  I'm probably going to switch over to ext2, however, since I do plan to use SSH as well.

I will update the wiki then. Note that the problems with SSH do only occur when using RSA-key authentication. The normal thing with entering your password everytime does work.

#170 2008-09-03 10:21:17

thomasd

Hi all,

I have added some more to the wiki section regarding the Additional function keys. Volume keys work just fine. Also I have added an xterm-bash-dialog-xrandr-script which allows to select the behavior of the external VGA output when pressing the corresponding Fn-key. Any feedback is appreciated.

Note that I do use neither KDE nor Gnome. If anyone has managed to get the keys working with the builtin tools of KDE or Gnome it would be nice if this was added to the wiki as well.

#171 2008-09-03 13:54:24

JesusRifle

Have you guys checked the debian wiki?
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne

Few things in there that should be added to ours.
"vga=8" in menu.lst will give you a nicer looking bootup
"DisplaySize  195 113" in xorg.conf "Monitor" will set the right DPI

they have a fix for the card readers but I havn't tried it yet
"setpci -d 197b:2381 AE=47" in your rc.local

Will report soon.

Edit: Just a note about my network problems. I have blacklisted acpi-cpufreq and cpufreq_ondemand along with the cpufreq daemon and networking is up again. Any idea why these could be messing with my eth0?

Last edited by JesusRifle (2008-09-03 13:56:38)

#172 2008-09-03 15:46:23

gothicknight

They shouldn't... but it looks really the same issue I had with memstick module eating all the CPU.

Late this day I'll give that wiki a try.

#173 2008-09-03 17:58:50

JesusRifle

so you suspect that the cpufeq might be putting cpuload to 100% atleast while booting?
is there any way to test this theory?
then mabye I can load the modules after I have got into xfce4

#174 2008-09-03 18:48:38

thomasd

JesusRifle wrote:

Have you guys checked the debian wiki?
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAcerOne

Few things in there that should be added to ours.
"vga=8" in menu.lst will give you a nicer looking bootup

I use vga=771 according to the Arch wiki and this works fine.

JesusRifle wrote:

"DisplaySize  195 113" in xorg.conf "Monitor" will set the right DPI

This does not work for me. I had to use the method with .xserverrc posted earlier in this thread. In the Gentoo wiki they posted a NoDDC option for xorg.conf, but this did not work as well. I would like to know if the above works for others.

JesusRifle wrote:

they have a fix for the card readers but I havn't tried it yet
"setpci -d 197b:2381 AE=47" in your rc.local

This was not necessary for me. lspci already listed the card reader. I thought that the above line may introduce hot plugging but it didn't. There was another hint in the Debain wiki about a shell script from the Linpus recovery disk, but this did not work either. See one of my earlier posts.

#175 2008-09-03 22:40:36

carlocci

Hi, I finally bought the AA1.
I've been fiddling with it for a while and now I have openbox on it running. Almost everything is configured (I still haven't tested the vga port) and I'm quite satisfied with it, I was about to cry when it resumed flawlessly from a

echo "mem" > /sys/power/state

I rebuilt the kernel with the PKGBUILD by AndyRTR and
Disabled CONFIG_IRQBALANCE (as suggested by powertop)
Re enabled the uvcvideo.ko which was left out in AndyRTR's kernel
Made a decent /usr/src/linux-2.6.26-one (actually I stole that part from the kernel26 PKGBUILD)
Patched coretemp.c with http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11161 in order to make coretemp work with the aa1. Even if sensors reports 46 °C whereas the perlscript reports 55 °C.
Added some bluetooth modules, just in case.
Of course I forgot to add the intelfb support, which is still built as a module, but I'm not building a kernel again as long as I don't have an external hard drive. Might try with sshfs though.

The kernel is here: http://carlocci.ngi.it/arch/kernel26-one

Last edited by carlocci (2008-09-03 22:42:43)

Board footer