You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-01 21:13:16

jbNet

Electra aka Linux Registry

http://registry.sourceforge.net/

What are everyone's thoughts on this? I think it could be a great way to unify configuration in Linux and make all sorts of great things possible that weren't before due to config file chaos. It would make it much easier for 3rd parties to develop, and make thing much more cross-distro. Basically everything they say on the site...

And don't let the name fool you! (that's probably why they changed it) It doesn't have all of the pitfalls of the Windows Registry. Read the site for more details

~Jake B

#2 2004-09-01 21:26:36

kakabaratruskia

Re: Electra aka Linux Registry

I have to say that the thing I hate the most about windows is it's damn registry. It's the main reason why I have to reinstall the OS every 6 months... It keeps getting corrupted.

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#3 2004-09-01 21:31:41

jbNet

kakabaratruskia wrote:

It keeps getting corrupted.

That's one of the things this resolves... it's not stored in one large file, but in standard text files using directories for heiarchy, read the site for more

~Jake B

#4 2004-09-01 22:05:59

jbNet

Just to add a point... This is high quality free (as in speach) software... just because it serves a simmilar purpose, has a simmilar interface, and (had) a simmilar name doesn't mean it's going to be like Microsoft's attempt at a registry.

I've never heard anybody complain about the Windows Registry being a central, standardized configuration tool, only the implementation problems, and sometimes how it was used.

~Jake B

#5 2004-09-01 22:24:30

punkrockguy318
Website

Wow.  Very great idea.  Nice implementation.  I really hope this project flourishes and starts showing up in the big distros (fedora, suse, mandrake), and ends up becoming a standard.  I've always hated gconf, and I've always hated the Windows registry, but this is nothing like them.  It's lightweight, and I can still edit them with vi.

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#6 2004-09-01 22:38:52

punkrockguy318
Website

Not that it's of much use yet, but here's a PKGBUILD for elektra.

# Contributor:  Lukas Sabota <punkrockguy318@comcast.net>
pkgname=elektra
pkgver=0.4
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Elektra is an alternative backend to obsolete text configuration files. Elektra tries to provide a universal and consistent infrastructure to store configuration parameters through a key-value pair mechanism"
url="http://registry.sourceforge.net/"
license="LGPL"
depends=(libxml2 bash)
source=(http://dl.sourceforge.net/registry/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=('20c7fb5513ffd3f456a9b06fe79fb80d')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg/ install
}

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#7 2004-09-01 22:40:19

i3839

Hehe, funny. First I was totally against the idea, but now I read their site a bit further it more or less turned out that they just use a simple filesystem based one-file-per-value config system. That resembles /proc and /sys, and I think it's often a good idea. It's not always that practical though.

Their main problem is that they promote their idea totally wrong. At first glance it looks way too much like a registry with all it's problems.

Electra is about 100x better than Gnome's GConf.

What I don't like though is that they want to put user config files in a local place, I'd very much prefer it in my homedir.

The many tiny files is often hard to handle for filesystems other than Reiserfs, so I guess it has performance/diskspace problems too.

#8 2004-09-01 22:50:59

punkrockguy318
Website

I guess you could symlink to home?  I understood it that it would be in the HOME... I'll have to reread it again.

#9 2004-09-01 22:51:07

jbNet

Hehe, funny. First I was totally against the idea

Yes I think many people went through that, including myself... The user specific values are actually stored in your home directory.

For those of you who are dismissing it, read it first before you decide.

~Jake B

#10 2004-09-01 23:24:10

jbNet

Here's some more:

Interview w/ the guy behind Linux Registry, 'er whatever it's called
http://dot.kde.org/1093768930/

UniConf - same idea, different approach
http://open.nit.ca/wiki/index.php?page=UniConf

~Jake B

#11 2004-09-06 18:13:46

punkrockguy318
Website

Elektra is in my TUR.  If I wasn't too lazy, I would also release a sysvinit-elektra-patched package.
I really like the idea, and I am now trying to program my rpg engine with elektra support

#12 2004-09-07 15:30:18

Moo-Crumpus

The idea is right, afaiac.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

Board footer