You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-06 16:05:48

skottish
Forum Fellow

LaTeX or XeTeX for OpenType fonts? [SOLVED]

I'm learning LaTeX now and was wondering if there is any true advantage to using XeTeX over LaTeX. I have otfinst (http://www.ece.ucdavis.edu/~jowens/code/otfinst/) on my system and it seemed to do a really good job with Garamond Premier Pro in LaTeX. I'd like to know if anyone has a compelling reason to use one over the other. I've heard a few good arguments for both. There are a lot of LaTeX experts here, so I want to hear from you.

Last edited by skottish (2008-09-07 20:26:02)

#2 2008-09-06 20:11:59

bt

Re: LaTeX or XeTeX for OpenType fonts? [SOLVED]

XeTeX gives me access to every font on the computer, without any fuss. If you use fontspec you have access to all of the variations, glyphs, and different sets within the OpenType fonts -- look at Warnock on the Adobe font website. I have particular use for monospaced lining numbers -- no problem, kerning, ligatures of different kinds, swashes, etc, etc. Fonts are a problem in LaTeX because you are limited unless you do a lot of work. XeTeX give you complete access.  Look at the fontspec documentation for examples. For me it's essential. Your needs may differ.

#3 2008-09-06 20:28:35

skottish
Forum Fellow

Let me ask you something. Your argument is, of course, the most compelling of all. The counter argument that I've been hearing is that if you need to convert the document into formal LaTeX, having it in XeTeX can be a hassle. Is the hassle really that big of a deal? Have you ever had to do such a thing?

--EDIT--

How do you get rid of the "I can't find the format file `xelatex.fmt'!" error running xelatex? Do I need to download something or generate the file?

Last edited by skottish (2008-09-06 20:51:02)

#4 2008-09-06 23:00:22

bt

1. xelatex.fmt -- I have no idea. I have never seen this message. Maybe xelatex is not part of your download. Do you have to install it? Check the CTAN website? Sorry, Can't help.

2. I have never had to convert the document to "formal LaTeX". Don't know what that is. XeTeX can save in pdf, or in dvi with the proper command. See the extensive documentation. What is "formal LaTeX"? Isn't XeTeX just an extension of LaTeX?

My problem is that it "just works", so I have never had to face problems. All the standard LaTex commands work, pgf works perfectly.

Sorry that I can't be more help!!!

#5 2008-09-06 23:12:04

skottish
Forum Fellow

bt wrote:

1. xelatex.fmt -- I have no idea. I have never seen this message. Maybe xelatex is not part of your download. Do you have to install it? Check the CTAN website? Sorry, Can't help.

2. I have never had to convert the document to "formal LaTeX". Don't know what that is. XeTeX can save in pdf, or in dvi with the proper command. See the extensive documentation. What is "formal LaTeX"? Isn't XeTeX just an extension of LaTeX?

My problem is that it "just works", so I have never had to face problems. All the standard LaTex commands work, pgf works perfectly.

Sorry that I can't be more help!!!

This is great help actually. Thanks for taking the time.

I'm using TeXLive from the repos, and the XeTeX stuff is in the tree. I ran across that error searching and most people were saying about what you said. I must not have it set up properly.

For my needs XeTeX is probably just as good as LaTeX. I like to throw out questions so that I can hear about other people's experiences.

--EDIT--

This is why it doesn't work. From fmtutil.cnf.rej:

*** 88,95 ****
  #! cyramstex    pdftex    language.dat    -translate-file=cp227.tcx *cyramstx.ini

# - Polish:
- platex        pdftex    language.dat    -translate-file=cp227.tcx *platex.ini
- pdfplatex    pdftex    language.dat    -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdfplatex.ini
  mex        pdftex    mexconf.tex    -translate-file=cp227.tcx *mex.ini
  pdfmex        pdftex    mexconf.tex    -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdfmex.ini
  utf8mex        pdftex    mexconf.tex    -enc *utf8mex.ini
--- 88,93 ----
  #! cyramstex    pdftex    language.dat    -translate-file=cp227.tcx *cyramstx.ini

# - Polish:
  mex        pdftex    mexconf.tex    -translate-file=cp227.tcx *mex.ini
  pdfmex        pdftex    mexconf.tex    -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdfmex.ini
  utf8mex        pdftex    mexconf.tex    -enc *utf8mex.ini
*** 120,126 ****
  eplain        pdftex    language.dat    -translate-file=cp227.tcx *eplain.ini

# mptopdf utility
- mptopdf        pdftex    -        -translate-file=cp227.tcx mptopdf.tex

# --- strange things
  texsis        pdftex    -        -translate-file=cp227.tcx texsis.ini
--- 118,124 ----
  eplain        pdftex    language.dat    -translate-file=cp227.tcx *eplain.ini

# mptopdf utility
+ mptopdf        pdftex    -        -translate-file=cp227.tcx mptopdf.ini

# --- strange things
  texsis        pdftex    -        -translate-file=cp227.tcx texsis.ini

So at the very least it doesn't like the Polish language (hyphenation?) file. The errors below I'll check on after I solve this one.

--EDIT--

Marking this as sovled so it goes away. I can't run XeTeX, and until I find some useful answers, I'm not going to be able to.

Last edited by skottish (2008-09-07 20:25:51)

Board footer