You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-06 00:18:29

pedepy

annoying & weird hick ups

hey. I recently totaled my JFS root partition after doing something dumb, and had to reinstall from scratch.

now, everything seems to be working fine, but i get these weird and ungodily annoying 'hangs' from the system. I can't seem to pin point it to any particular process. It even happens in a 'failsafe' X session, without even a window manager running.

One guy suggested adding host to /etc/hosts, which I have, and it didnt help anything.

Now, bare in mind quite a few packages are different from my previous installation, most notably catalyst, xorg-server & the kernel. But the fact that I get these hangs even when nothing much seems to run at all kinda worries me. Nothing is showing up *anywhere* ... and I dont believe I have damanged my HDD in a physical way.\\

Thoughts?..

chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu

#2 2008-09-06 00:34:57

dav7

Re: annoying & weird hick ups

It could be the catalyst drivers.

All I can really recommend is not using X at all for a while and see if you get hangs then. If you don't, your problems are specifically X related.

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#3 2008-09-06 00:55:17

pedepy

um what could i use outside of X that's "intensive" enough to notice those hickups ?..

does fb video use catalyst ?

[edit: no it doesnt. will try some stuff later and post back with results..]

Last edited by pedepy (2008-09-06 00:56:59)

#4 2008-09-07 00:55:08

pedepy

well first things first, fbxine doesnt wanna work for me. I keep getting video port failed. oh well.

anyway, downgraded to 2.6.24 since this was all i could find already packaged on my old backups, along with catalyst 8.3. Its old school, but the hicks are no longer.

so anyway i dunno .. doesnt anyone else using either 2.6.26 and/or catalyst 8.8 experience similar problems?

Board footer