You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-05 14:53:39

Cosmicos
Website

I plan to use Arch

Hi,

I'm not a Linux expert by any means but came to Arch since I thought it might suit my needs in being a fast and minimal OS which I can direct the way I like.

I'd like to use either Gnome or KDE4 on it, I have never used KDE4 so would like to know if people would recommend it. I am very happy and familiar with Gnome and previous versions of KDE. Overall I like both equally really, it's hard for me to choose. If possible I'd also like to use Compiz with it, but that's not a MUST.

I hope to get NVIDIA working at least and to have simple office packages for my college's homework purposes only.

The download is taking ages because I'm on slow-ish connection. Therefore I can't check to see whether the installation will go fine yet.

#2 2008-09-05 15:37:41

Sp4rkR4t

Re: I plan to use Arch

If you follow the superb beginers guide everything should go fine, as for whether KDE4 is ready yet I would still say no but then again I don't like all-in-one solutions.

#3 2008-09-05 16:10:26

filou.linux

Sp4rkR4t wrote:

If you follow the superb beginers guide everything should go fine, as for whether KDE4 is ready yet I would still say no but then again I don't like all-in-one solutions.

+1

I think its a good way to start with KDEmod 4(.1). It's really worth trying. But In the end it's a matter of taste. If you really want to find out which *DE is best for you, you have to try them yourself. Hope this helps.

#4 2008-09-05 16:15:41

peets
Website

If your hardware is supported by the kernel which is on the install cd (2.6.25 I think), you should have no problems with the installation (if your comp does not include brand new bleeding edge hardware, you should be OK). nvidia should not cause you problems either: I've been using their proprietary drivers for over a year with no problems. Read the beginner's guide and enjoy!

Welcome to Arch.

Last edited by peets (2008-09-05 16:16:41)

#5 2008-09-05 20:44:55

Cosmicos
Website

Thank you for your replies.

I am just concerned whether the nVidia drivers will work with a custom-built Kernel for example. I would like to include the snd-usb-audio module in the Kernel in case it is not included by default, since it is not with Ubuntu anyway. The problem is that I've had cases where the nVidia drivers refuse to install because of mismatching Kernel sources.

I also do not like AllInOne solutions and like stability but also new software. In that case I know I should try KDE4 but I do not think it's worth trying it out on Arch then, since it could take a while.

The download will probably complete soon and I will try to install it in Virtualbox first.

As for the hardware, it's standard MSI 925x Intel 3Ghz (not dual or core2) with an nVidia 7600GT card which has worked fine previously on all other variants of GNU/Linux.

I have however had problems installing Arch on a previous occasion. I'll report back!

Thanks.

#6 2008-09-05 22:49:05

DarkForte

I recommend that you do not try KDE4, in any distro, as it is still missing some features and stability, not to mention the configurability of 3.5. If you want something minimal and fast, try Xfce, or if you are even more desiring of lightness, fluxbox, openbox and variants.

#7 2008-09-05 23:02:11

Cosmicos
Website

DarkForte,

Thank you for your comments. I have made up my mind and will not try KDE 4 as of yet. Personally I do not like XFCE and am also aware of other WM alternatives such as Fluxbox, IceWM and Openbox thank you. I might install both Gnome and a Window Manager in the event to utilise both Compiz as well as learn a fast and elegant WM of my choice.

I am hoping Arch will aid me well in learning more about Linux. smile

#8 2008-09-06 00:16:31

jb

DarkForte wrote:

I recommend that you do not try KDE4, in any distro, as it is still missing some features and stability, not to mention the configurability of 3.5. If you want something minimal and fast, try Xfce, or if you are even more desiring of lightness, fluxbox, openbox and variants.

As someone that uses 3.5 at work and 4.1 at home, I agree that the customization is lacking, but my 3.5 apps crash more often than their 4.1 equivalents; but that's a YMMV situation.

Cosmicos wrote:

I might install both Gnome and a Window Manager in the event to utilise both Compiz as well as learn a fast and elegant WM of my choice.

The wiki on compiz-fusion will help the cause.

#9 2008-09-06 00:26:50

haxit
Website

You will not regret it. May I suggest Openbox?

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#10 2008-09-06 09:45:07

Cosmicos
Website

haxit,

Thanks for your recommendation. I will try openbox and a few others. I probably have tried it before but just can't remember it.

#11 2008-09-06 11:43:05

Doehni

If you want to use KDE 3.5 you can install it from KDEmod: http://www.kdemod.ath.cx

And, welcome to Arch! :-)

#12 2008-09-06 15:51:20

Zepp
Website

Sp4rkR4t wrote:

If you follow the superb beginers guide everything should go fine

Indeed, I found the arch install to be incredibly easy and pretty damn quick. I was coming for ~4 years of Gentoo though so maybe my opinion is slightly bias tongue.

#13 2008-09-07 16:11:53

Jack B
Website

Cosmicos wrote:

[snip]

I am just concerned whether the nVidia drivers will work with a custom-built Kernel for example. I would like to include the snd-usb-audio module in the Kernel in case it is not included by default, since it is not with Ubuntu anyway. The problem is that I've had cases where the nVidia drivers refuse to install because of mismatching Kernel sources.

[snip]

Hi Cosmicos, and welcome to Arch

I quick poke into my system tells me that snd-usb-audio (and a few more modules it requires) are built as modules in the arch stock kernel.  I would personally leave them as is, I have tried a custom kernel, with all the modules I need built-in, but only gained a second or so of boot time and no change when running.

If you do build a custom kernel, you will need to re-build the nvidia module (and any other separate modules).  This is actually very easy with the Arch Buld System, which you could also use to build your custom kernel.

HTH
Jack

Board footer