You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-03 13:59:36

zezaz
Website

Arch 0.7 ISO: wrong udev setup?

I recently installed a PC for a friend with the Arch 0.7 ISO. I have 2 questions on the default udev setup.

1) lilo.conf

Our bootloader was lilo. When we changed the udev permissions, our changes were ignored. We solved the problem by appending "devfs=nomount" to our boot line in the lilo.conf (thanks Wiki smile ). That was missing in the default lilo.conf

Could that option be added to the default lilo.conf?

2) fstab

in the default fstab, sysfs is mounted. On the wiki (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UdevHowTo) it is said to unmount sysfs.

Which is better: keep sysfs, or unmount it?

Thanks is advance!

#2 2004-09-03 15:54:03

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Re: Arch 0.7 ISO: wrong udev setup?

zezaz wrote:

I recently installed a PC for a friend with the Arch 0.7 ISO. I have 2 questions on the default udev setup.

1) lilo.conf

Our bootloader was lilo. When we changed the udev permissions, our changes were ignored. We solved the problem by appending "devfs=nomount" to our boot line in the lilo.conf (thanks Wiki smile ). That was missing in the default lilo.conf

Could that option be added to the default lilo.conf?

Yea, you have to add the "devfs=nomount" part manually.  I'm still on the fence on that one, as I don't want to have the defaults break things for kernel 2.4.x users (udev won't work for them, afaik).

2) fstab

in the default fstab, sysfs is mounted. On the wiki (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UdevHowTo) it is said to unmount sysfs.

Which is better: keep sysfs, or unmount it?

Doesn't matter, actually.  You can remove it from your /etc/fstab altogether, as it (and /proc) will be explicitly mounted in /etc/rc.sysinit at boot-up.

#3 2004-09-03 16:30:14

zezaz
Website

apeiro wrote:

Yea, you have to add the "devfs=nomount" part manually.  I'm still on the fence on that one, as I don't want to have the defaults break things for kernel 2.4.x users (udev won't work for them, afaik).

I see. But, as  lilo.conf is protected by a NoUpgrade in the default pacman.conf, i believe that adding the "devfs=nomount" part with a comment telling something like "UDEV ONLY!!!" would not be dangerous for those using devfs and lilo. I hope i did not miss something smile.

Furthermore, this would make default new installs from CDs handle properly their udev config/permissions.

apeiro wrote:

You can remove it (sysfs) from your /etc/fstab altogether, as it (and /proc) will be explicitly mounted in /etc/rc.sysinit at boot-up.

Good.  Thank you apeiro.

#4 2004-09-03 22:08:25

ravster
Website

A message could be placed in the files that would be different between devfs and udev. Something like in /etc/fstab

#If you are using udev, then place a '#' before the following line
/sysfs blah blah defaults 0   0

This could also be done with the grub(or lilo).conf
Example: Grub config (the 'menu.1st' file)

#If you are using udev, delete the '#' before the 'devfs=nomount' option
title Archlinux
   root(hd0,0)
   kernel=/boot/bzImage ro root=/dev/discs/disc0/part1(or whatever) #devfs=nomount(this is supposed to be in the same line)

After all, people are supposed to read through these files during installation, and even if they do not, it keeps the devfs as default. And it provides instruction as to what should be done if using udev(for newbies).

#5 2004-09-05 01:39:56

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I believe, when apeiro used the word "altogether", he meant altogether.  As in, you don't need it ever again.  It's totally useless having it in there.  If you leave it in there too long, you'll go blind.  Etc.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

Board footer