You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-08 21:33:29

Thoht

Where are the drivers and how come my monitor works without them?

Hey folks!

I thought the drivers were all in the kernel, but then again I always have to install the Intel/Nvidia/whatever drivers to get my graphic card/chip working, but that's only if I want to run X. So how come I can see the console text displayed before that, at various resolutions (which I can select in GRUB)? How can anything be displayed before I've installed a graphics driver...? What kind of driver is used before that? Curious.

hmm

Thanks in advance.

Credit to KiwiesRuleXD @ DeviantArt for the avatar.

#2 2008-09-08 21:36:22

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Re: Where are the drivers and how come my monitor works without them?

It's a framebuffer.. wink

#3 2008-09-08 21:47:46

Thoht

Misfit138 wrote:

Oh I see. Just like the graphics in the installation process then? What about the two Archlinux logotypes at boot? Could they for instance be displayed at the login prompt as well?

Credit to KiwiesRuleXD @ DeviantArt for the avatar.

#4 2008-09-08 22:03:30

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Thoht wrote:
Misfit138 wrote:

Oh I see. Just like the graphics in the installation process then? What about the two Archlinux logotypes at boot? Could they for instance be displayed at the login prompt as well?

Most certainly. In fact, I tried a distro a few years back which actually had a penguin permanently in the background of the console as sort of a wallpaper.

BTW, you have 2 Arch logos because you either have 2 cpu's, 2 cores, or hyper-threading.

Board footer