You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-03 20:40:18

G.I.Josh

patching system w/o upgrading possible? [solved: no :(]

Can you upgrade to fix the bugs in a piece of software you use without upgrading to a new version with all the new features?  I'd like to do that mostly for security reasons.  Fixing the the current software without adding new features with the possibility of new flaws just seems like a good idea.

Thanks

#2 2004-09-03 20:58:36

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: patching system w/o upgrading possible? [solved: no :(]

Currently, no.  There are plans to have one, but most of those are far off.

If you wanted to pay me, I'm pretty sure I could maintain something for you and anyone else who wanted a secure/stable repo... though it wouldn't be perfect till I really got the hang of it... and had more than just me working on it.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-09-03 23:34:27

G.I.Josh

Ehe, nah.  I don't have enough of a need for that, nor do I have the money.  I just don't usually need the extra features, so I figured that if I could go without them, I might as well.  Thanks for the quick reply and the offer.

-Josh

#4 2004-09-04 22:47:10

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

You can, however, maintain your own packages any way you like, using makepkg and ABS. You can apply your own security patches, fixes, etc, or change the compile options however you see fit.

Dusty

Board footer