You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-07 07:00:43

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

fluxbox - difficulties in escaping filename of background in style

I'm a newcomer to fluxbox (although I used bbLean for a while on Windows), because, while I like all the new KDE4 apps, I *hate* the lack of customization that they still haven't fixed yet.  Well, that, and some things are still a bit buggy.

Anyways, I always code styles to specific backgrounds, so I like the functionality of being able to set the background in a style file.  Following the instructions on the fluxbox wiki, I got the style to successfully set the wallpaper.  Yay!

The trouble lies with certain filenames.  While a few of my backgrounds are rather normal, most of them come from AnimePaper.net, and as such, are named along these lines: [AnimePaper]wallpapers_Spirited-Away_Anime-Girl(1.33)_1600x1200_79372.jpg.  I've tried using both the straight name (like that), surrounding the entire filepath in single quotes, and using the escaped name (\[AnimePaper\]wallpapers_Spirited-Away_Anime-Girl\(1.33\)_1600x1200_79372.jpg), but I can't seem to get it to work without renaming my files, which I'd prefer not to do.  Running fbsetbg on them directly works fine.

#2 2008-09-10 04:04:52

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

Re: fluxbox - difficulties in escaping filename of background in style

bump once, and then I'll just give up and rename files.

#3 2008-09-10 11:32:53

genisis300

have you considered using some thing like nitrogen?
it has a pretty good interface for selecting your wallpaper and can be added to an autostart.sh with nitrogen --restore?

"is adult entertainment killing our children or is killing our children entertaining adults?" Marilyn Manson

#4 2008-09-10 15:16:25

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

I hadn't heard of nitrogen at all, and it looks quite interesting.  However, if I understand it right, I wouldn't be able to use it to set a background when I change styles, correct?  The whole reason I create styles for my computer is to match my wallpaper.

Board footer