You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-09 14:45:51

MHordecki

Overwritten partition

Hello all!

Recently I've decided to install WinXp on my computer. Hovewer, I've made a terrible mistake. While in partition selection dialog in winxp installer, by an accident I've formatted my / partition (reiserfs3) into NTFS ('quick' mode).

Can my data be restored by any of data recovery programs?

#2 2008-09-10 00:48:48

dav7

Re: Overwritten partition

Hi there.

A quick google around turned the following URL up: http://martian.org/marty/2003/09/05/rei … -recovery/

It looks like it would be a good candidate to help you, but ignore the "ssh deadserver dd if=/dev/hda1 conv=noerror > hda1.img" command; that doesn't apply here.

Rather, to ensure you don't lose anything nonetheless, I highly recommend you make a copy of your / partition onto another disk (or even another partition on your current disk, that should work, if you're careful) and then you can work on the copy. To do this, you will need another hard disk or partition with a little more free space than / takes up currently. So if you have a 10GB /, I recommend 11GB or 12GB of free space, or 15GB to be absolutely sure that you won't get errors that there wasn't enough space to create the backup.

Now, run the following:

dd if=/dev/sdX of=recoveredroot.img

Where /dev/sdX is your / partition and recoveredroot.img is a filename your / will be stored in.

At this point, follow the steps in the URL posted above, except the ssh... one.

If that method doesn't work for you, things may get a little more messy. Download TestDisk, which can search for lost partitions. Throw it at your HDD and hope it works. Note that the Linux version doesn't require you not be running the HDD actively, it just requires you run it as root and (assumedly) have the target partition unmounted.

I hope this works for you, but... I take no responsibility for any data loss caused by these procedures. Data recovery is messy, and I recommend you wait for several people's opinions before you commit to anything.

-dav7

Last edited by dav7 (2008-09-10 00:49:58)

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#3 2008-09-11 00:01:58

Anarion.h

Re: Overwritten partition

You can try doing that and then mount the recoveredrood.img with the -o loop -t ext3 options

0666: read and write for everyone!

Board footer