You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-13 11:36:58

whol

Can I rip my DVD's and convert to DIVX with Arch?

I'm still using my Windows computer to rip the DVD's I buy, and then convert them to DIVX, which I can watch with XINE.  On Windows I use SmartRipper to rip the DVDs, and DVDx to convert to DIVX format.  Smartripper requires a media player to "unlock" the DVD, I can usually use MS Media Player to unlock the DVD's, but sometimes I have to use one of the DVD players I bought, WinDVD and CineVideo.

I heard there is no legal way to unlock DVD's on linux, is that true? 

Can linux DVD players "unlock" DVD's?  Or will I have to keep a windows box available for that task? 

thx!

#2 2004-03-13 11:53:37

Moo-Crumpus

Re: Can I rip my DVD's and convert to DIVX with Arch?

In short:
· Donnow · Yes · No

I heard there is no legal way to unlock DVD's on linux, is that true?

Depends on where you are living. In germany, it is forbitten to crack copy protections, even for making your own backup copy. Afaik, it is even against the law just to own a cracker. But it is allowed to do a backup copy ... seems the delegates where a bit confused when voting for this law.
German Intermission:
I have NO idea what libdvdcss is about and don't call it my own and NEVER used it and NEVER WILL use it and have no idea what DVD RIPPING means @ all and will at no time notice what it could be and once will die before someone could possibly force me to take notice by twisting my arms.

Can linux DVD players "unlock" DVD's?

You may test dvdrip, or read it's documentations before doing anything further:
http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/
For DivX, read http://www.divx.com/divx/linux/
For dvd tools in arch, see http://www.archlinux.org/packages.php/d … ate=&pp=50
and http://www.archlinux.org/packages.php/d … ate=&pp=50.

Or will I have to keep a windows box available for that task?

No, of course not.
Maybe you wan't to burn your backups, or watch some of your movies. Hm, totem and gcombust and xcdroast will give you some power. wink

Footnote:
Never said that. Can't remember anything. Someone must have mkfs.jfs'ed my brain. I feel so journalized, but all I can say, donnow about the time before.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#3 2004-03-13 15:17:57

Shemeta

- To copy the VOBs to your hard drive you can use Mplayer or VobCopy.
- DivX is really poor on features under Linux (no Pro version), so i recommend using Xvid or libavcodec.
- To encode your movie , there are a lot of tools. command line based is mencoder, although there are GUIs for it. You can also use Avidemux, which i recommend. It's simmilar to VirtualDub(Mod).
- For muxing audio & video into MKV you can use mkvtoolnix. works great with AAC tracks.
- For more information, check http://forum.doom9.org , lots of guides & how-to's & help.

hope that helps even though that's just the basic.

Regards, Shemeta

#4 2004-03-13 15:36:33

sarah31
Website

you can rip you dvd to divx, i recommend the open source one though xvid. there are plenty of apps to do this my favorite is transcode as mencoder produces rahter poor output imho. transcode is cli though so you may want to use dvdrip. there are other apps that you can also use so i recommend doing a package search on the arch webpage.

yes libdvdcss is considered illegal or grey area as it is a hack of a proprietary code. as far as i know it is grey area in canada and the us.

yes you can watch encrypted dvds in linux.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-03-13 21:23:12

whol

Neat, thx for all the tips!

#6 2004-03-18 06:41:17

whol

I almost have transcode working.  I get an error when I try to Transcode (this is after ripping an unencrypted DVD):

"Failed to load DivX 4.x/5.x Codec[Transcode] critical: failed to init encoder"

Installed xine, mplayer, and dvdrip.  My machine has been hanging also, though I think it is unrelated. It hung when I was getting vmware installed, and it hung the first time I tried to transcode a file.  When it hangs, it has an error journaling, and then it loses access to the HD :-(.

Anyway, is it hard to install the codecs?  I've been trying to find which package to install to get the codecs.  Or maybe theres something else wrong?

thx!

#7 2004-03-18 06:52:54

whol

I got it working using the "xvid" codec, I dont know much about that one.  I've been happy using Divx4 and Divx5 under windoze, but if xvid is good, I'll use it. 

Is xvid comparable to divx?

thx

#8 2004-03-18 11:12:39

neri
Forum Fellow

whol wrote:

I got it working using the "xvid" codec, I dont know much about that one.  I've been happy using Divx4 and Divx5 under windoze, but if xvid is good, I'll use it. 

Is xvid comparable to divx?

thx

Depends on your bias a bit  big_smile You can achieve compareable or even better
results with xvid or really crappy things. Note that the xvid codec is highly
configurable. Additionally, if you like to use on linux, note that the pro
Version is available in Windows not in linux, as shemata already mentioned.
Therefore, some of the best divx Features(AFAIR they are also in xvid) like
B-Frames and GMC are not available in DivX for linux.

bye neri

#9 2004-03-18 16:17:18

Shemeta

you can take a look at the codec comparison at Doom9 . also the have the best forums for DVD ripping,authoring , Xvid etc.

i think that's the place to start learning about Xvid. 

Shemeta

#10 2004-03-19 00:23:42

sarah31
Website

i should have mentioned that you cannot encode using the straight divx encoders as they either don't like the current gcc or transcode.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#11 2004-03-19 14:16:42

whol

I had a DVD that windoze dvdx could not encode properly (the sound always skipped in the final output). I took that DVD and ran it though dvd::ripper/transcode, opting for 2 x 650MB output files in the xvid format.  transcode produced 2 perfect output files, the quality is amazing.  dvdx normally takes 1.5 hours to convert that particular DVD from VOB to DIVX, and transcode took about 6.0 hours - but th results were worth it.

I'm not sure if I got lucky on the settings (I was baffled by the whole 1st filter, zoom & clip, 2nd filter, operations).  I just need a way to encode about 1% of a movie to check my settings before waiting 6 hours to check the output.

I was amazed at the quality of transcodes xvid output.  Next step, is an encrypted DVD.

thx!

#12 2004-03-19 16:21:35

sarah31
Website

i know with transcode you can rip the dvd chapters to separate files if you like. generally the first chapter takes a few minutes.  i usually just use transcode and because i never know for sure when there is one of those dummy chapters that will sometimes freeze transcode.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#13 2004-03-20 13:49:30

allanon

I've also used dvd::rip, and it does the whole job. First, select the main movie track and click Rip - then crop black fields at top/bottom/sides, select codec (I recommend Xvid too), decide if you should use deinterlacing (preview the movie first to see if it has ugly lines when panning), select size and click "Transcode". Works great.

And no, I do not know the legal status in most of the world. In Norway it is okay (Untill we implement EUCD, probably), in the rest of Europe it varies a bit, and in the US you probably go to federal prison.

*trying very hard not to turn this into a political discussion, but when you have people like Janelly Fourtou and Jean-Rene Fourtou...*

#14 2004-03-20 17:20:10

whol

My system keeps hanging while transcoding, I lose access to my HD's.  This is on a machine that ran Win XP for 2 years with no problem.  I disabled my vmware daemons as my first trouble-shooting idea.  I'm also putting Arch on a 2nd machine, so I'll see if it hangs on that machine too.  it's sad when you lose your HD!

#15 2004-09-04 16:47:09

hugelmopf

I have the same problem, that whol mentioned already:

Failed to load DivX 4.x/5.x Codec(Transcode) critical: failed to init encoder

Now I tried to use Xvid, with about the same error message (failed to init encoder).

How can I fix this? I would rather use DivX, because some standalone DVD-Players can play DivX-CDs and I guess they wouldn't cope with xvid, right?

Thanks for any help, Frank

#16 2004-09-04 17:33:35

morphus

I would rather use DivX, because some standalone DVD-Players can play DivX-CDs and I guess they wouldn't cope with xvid, right?

I owned A DVD-Player capable of playing divx AND xvid. Unless you don't choose any special stuff in xvid, your divx-player should also be able to play xvid. Just give it a try smile

#17 2004-09-04 17:34:27

sarah31
Website

well divx issues would appear to be transcode's issue .... when i last looked at it. xvid should work just be sure when you state that it is xvid in the commandline that you state it as xvid4.

anyone that has issues outside linux with playing anything you ripped in linux just doesn't have all the codecs they need.I know there is a divx codec for windows and OS X.

xvid is very slow right now for me and so I use -y ffmpeg -F mpeg4 which yeilds a larger file but it is divx/xvid compliant.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#18 2004-09-05 01:42:44

topito
Website

I use dvd::rip, it is a really nice and easy program that does everything with just 3 mouse clicks:

http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/

just "pacman -S dvdrip".

I always use xvid and mp3 and sometimes ac3, can't get divx5/4 working cos there is a bug in p4.

#19 2004-09-05 12:49:15

hugelmopf

morphus: I will give it a try, as soon as my transcode works.

sarah: Even when I choose xvid4 in the transcode dialog within dvd::rip it doesn't work... seems like I don't have this encoder installed, doesn't it come with transcode, meaning I have to install it separately?

topito: That's exactly what I am doing: using dvd::rip. But when I choose xvid in the transcode section it still won't work.

Thanks for the answers... maybe any other ideas?

#20 2004-09-20 00:51:10

merc

Here's what I did to get DVD ripping to work:

If you just do a "pacman -S dvdrip" then you can't rip a dvd. It will give errors about 'failed to init encoder' and other stuff. You'll need the following packages installed to rip successfully:

libdv
xvidcore
dvdrip

I tried just installing dvdrip, and i got various errors (including the 'can't init encoder'). So I read the error messages, google'd the missing files, figured out which package they came from, and last night I finally got it all working. So, here's what you do:

1) pacman -S dvdrip libdv xvidcore
2) run "dvdrip" and rip to your heart's content (only in xvid4 though. dvdrip says during install that it doesn't work well with divx)
3) there is no step 3 (always wanted to say that smile

I've gotten a lot of help from these forums, and thanks to you guys I've been windows free for two weeks. Now if the dvdrtools/cdrtools/k3b problems get fixed, I wont ever think of windows again. Well, maybe now and then in intense anger and disgust, but nothing more.

Here's hoping this solves your problem. Oh, and to top it off, I used to get ~7fps using divx 5.1 and ~13fps using divx 5.05 under windows. For the same settings (but with xvid4 instead), I got a constant 23fps encode. Thats real time. I never thought that'd be possible on my computer. Linux never ceases to amaze...

#21 2004-11-20 01:30:17

hugelmopf

Thanks a lot merc, this did indeed work!!! :-)

One thing I might add for the people wanting DivX:
1. pacman -S divx4linux should install you the divx.com drivers version 5
2. when using dvdrip/transcode, it might error out with

export_divx5.so] libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[transcode] warning : failed to init DivX 5.0 Codec

As pointed out in this article (http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/arch.html), this can be fixed by copying the libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 (included in the article) into /usr/lib.

With these two steps, I was able to encode divx in avi containers. Good luck!

PS: Amazed that this works, I was thinking about writing a Wiki-entry for DVD ripping. Should I put it in Sound & Audio?
[Edit: Added it as DVD-Ripping]

Board footer