You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-21 04:08:29

progrock

Suspend/Resume Issues

Hi all,
I'm having some problems with suspend and resume on my desktop computer with Arch.  I've read several dozen forum posts and a couple of guides from the Arch wiki (I can't find the urls just now...) but I can't find one that seems applicable to my issue.

I can only suspend/resume successfully once per boot.  pm-suspend works very well that one time:  I load up X, fire up an xterm and throw it a 'sudo pm-suspend' and it works, and it resumes easily and quickly.  When I try it again, however, the story is different.  The hard disks sound they want to suspend, but the only thing that happens is that my monitors go off without a way to bring them back.  The keyboard and mouse are non-functional and I can't bring it back with the power button like I do normally.  So I hit the restart button, and when I boot back up it checks my disks for errors (so I'm guessing that nothing gets unmounted) and then I can suspend one more time until I have to reboot.

I built this desktop, so I know all the hardware if that's important.  Ubuntu always did this automagically, so I don't even know where to start to look for the problem.  Any help is appreciated.

progrock

#2 2008-07-22 01:26:01

kalasmannen
Website

Re: Suspend/Resume Issues

Hey there!

Have you tried doing it the crude way? As root or with sudo run

# echo mem > /sys/power/state

This will directly put the system in "suspend to ram" or S3.

#3 2008-07-22 01:59:14

progrock

Thanks for the reply.

I just gave that a shot, and it's no joy - the same problem as with pm-suspend.

#4 2008-07-22 02:11:59

thayer
Fellow
Website

Then it probably *is* a hardware issue...something is hanging up the process.  List your specs and someone might be able to offer more detailed advice.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#5 2008-07-22 07:17:46

buddabrod

I had these problems when uhci_hcd was loaded. Unload it before suspending and you might be fine wink

#6 2008-07-22 12:25:02

progrock

Well, I tried modprobe -r uhci-hcd, and then suspending (this would be the second time on this boot cycle) and it's the same story.  The thing that I think it holding it up is my motherboard, which is an Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe.  It has a built in wireless antenna (rtl8187, if that's important).  I also have three hdd's, one for windows (mounted with ntfs-3g, 250gb), one for storage (ntfs-3g, 80gb) and then this one that Arch is on split up (I did the recommended partitioning during install, ext2, 250gb).  An AMD X2 4600+, 2gb of RAM and a 7900gtx with two monitors attached.

Thanks for the replys, guys, keep 'em coming.  Maybe we can figure it out.

#7 2008-07-24 03:03:17

progrock

bumpity?

#8 2008-09-12 07:59:15

tonyisnt

I'm having this same issue, and I'm wondering if you ever found a solution to the problem.  My specs are ASUS A8N-E, Athlon 64 4000+—my hunch is that it's the motherboard. Can only suspend/hibernate once, and then when I try to do it again all that happens is my monitor turns off and something in the tower turns off, but the fans keep going and I have to hard reboot to get back in.

And I know from experience that my setup worked with 2 old Ubuntu installs out of the box (Breezy and Dapper).  Are there still specialized kernels that help suspending?  Excuse me, but a lot of this is still over my head...

Board footer