You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-27 02:53:53

ikaruga

ndiswrapper/pacman issues

Hi all. I just installed a fresh iso, 2008-08-26. Pacman keeps stalling on me. It will download, but after downloading 5 mb, it'll permanently stall. I've tried various mirrors and no dice.

I have a airnet awd154 wifi card, Marvell 88w8335 Libertas (rev 03). I'm using ndiswrapper with the INF file that came with the card. I previously had OpenSuse 10.2 installed on this machine and the wifi connection was zippy. However, it now crawls. I am unable to install any other programs to see if its the net connection or pacman.

Any ideas?

#2 2008-08-27 11:44:43

Garns

Re: ndiswrapper/pacman issues

ikaruga wrote:

Hi all. I just installed a fresh iso, 2008-08-26. Pacman keeps stalling on me. It will download, but after downloading 5 mb, it'll permanently stall. I've tried various mirrors and no dice.

I have a airnet awd154 wifi card, Marvell 88w8335 Libertas (rev 03). I'm using ndiswrapper with the INF file that came with the card. I previously had OpenSuse 10.2 installed on this machine and the wifi connection was zippy. However, it now crawls. I am unable to install any other programs to see if its the net connection or pacman.

Any ideas?

Do you have wget installed?

pacman -Q wget

If yes you, could use it to download some files or uncomment the line XferCommand = /usr/bin/wget ...  in /etc/pacman.conf to use it for downloading files with pacman.

#3 2008-08-27 14:45:34

ikaruga

Thanks for the reply! But isn't wget part of the default install? (That's what I did.) It's worth a shot. I'll try it when I get home.

However, I suspect that it may be related to my internet connection. I left the computer on overnight, with pacman "stalled." When I woke up, it had finished downloading kde (which is a huge download). The only "difference" is that I shut down the other computer that also uses wifi. Perhaps the other computer was interfering with the signal. (This has happened with my laptops.) Or perhaps the internet is less clogged in the am. But as I said before, this same computer with the same wifi driver never gave me a problem before.

I'll troubleshoot when I get home and report back -- thanks again.

#4 2008-09-12 20:32:06

ikaruga

I figured out what the problem was. The arch computer and the other computer were "sharing" the same IP address. Hence, the noticable drop in performance. DOH!

Now I just have to do something about the dropped inactive wifi connection.

Board footer