You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-12 07:03:17

colbert

App to edit videos

I'm looking for an app that can add text/effects to video files. I use avidemux for cutting/encoding just fine but I'd like to add text, graphics, things like that for some video projects, albeit nothing too complex.

TIA smile

#2 2008-09-12 08:50:03

The Avatar of Time

Re: App to edit videos

Hello,

Well first I think it goes against the whole 'nothing too complex' idea, but Cinelerra is an excellent video editor, at least what I have used of it so far. Really I find the actuall act of editing the video/audio to be rather simple and have quite a nice interface. It's when it comes time to export that the multitude of options pile up on you and can become a wee bit complicated. It's still really worth looking into though if you're serious about editing. So far it seems to have some really nice guides as well.

Next we have Kino, I must confess I haven't used it for much other than capturing from a camcorder and exporting to DVD, but it does have editing options. I'm not sure what all it can do, but it's a nice app as well and certainly simpler than Cinelerra.

ManDVD is a very straight forward and simple, if not rather limited, app for editing videos. Again I haven't done too much with it (I'm not even sure I should be allowed to make recommendations come to think of it smile ) but it is nothing if not simple. I find the version in Arch to be a bit buggy when it comes to the language, some of the submenus are in Dutch still even after selecting English. I suppose if you happen to speak Dutch then that isn't really going to be a bug for you. I don't speak Dutch so well. I used it on Ubuntu some time ago, and I believe I compiled it from source then, it had no language bug. And I could just be missing a setting on this version too.

There is also Cinepaint, which I haven't used at all, that allows frame by frame editing and painting and what not I guess. That may be more what you for adding text and graphics and what not. Using some scene fading effects and some other random blur and whirl type of effects is about the extent of what I have done.

I wish I could give you a more straightforward answer, but this at least will give you something to look into. They are all in the repositories by the way. Cinelerra might be 'cinelerra-cv' but I don't remember for sure, the rest are as you would expect.

Enjoy and let me know if any of those are what you were looking for.

#3 2008-09-12 10:58:53

IncredibleLaser

Damn, I really miss the combination of Avisynth, SSA and MeGUI I used on Windows. Unfortunately, I never found a replacement for these on Linux.

#4 2008-09-13 06:32:14

wirenik

If you've ever used Windows Movie Maker and liked it, Open Movie Editor the most similar app I could find (and I did a lot of searching... XP). It's a little dated but you can add sounds and text and graphics very easily.

moljac024: No one really knows what happens inside /dev/null... it could be a gateway to another universe....
dunc: If it is, the people who live there must be getting pretty annoyed by now with all the junk we send them.

#5 2008-09-13 11:43:02

kclive18

Another one that is a little more complex (but not near as complex as cinelerra), is avidemux.

My Rigs:
- Mid-2007 iMac 20", Intel 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 2x1GB DDR2-800, 250GB SATA HDD, and...MIGHTY MOUSE!!! tongue, OSX 10.5 Leopard, ATI Radeon 2400XT 128MB
- HP zv6203cl, AMD Athlon 64 3200 S939, 2x512MB DDR400, 80GB 4200rpm HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200M 128MB, Arch i686 cool
- 1986 Gibson SG Junior Cherry Red, Ibanez 15W amp, DigiTech RP250 modeling processor

Board footer