You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-14 04:45:54

wirenik

Looking for a new music player

Hey guys. I just installed Arch and everything's looking great, but I haven't picked a music player yet.

I want something extremely light and simple, using GTK+. I just want to make a playlist and play it. I don't want uber-advanced media collection management and iPod support and Audioscrobbling and whatnot. And no KDE/Qt apps either. Most importantly, I want it to be able to run completely from the tray.

So, Archers: any ideas?

moljac024: No one really knows what happens inside /dev/null... it could be a gateway to another universe....
dunc: If it is, the people who live there must be getting pretty annoyed by now with all the junk we send them.

#2 2008-09-14 05:17:09

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Looking for a new music player

I find QuodLibet fairly good but from your wishlist it may be more than you want.

How about an MPD front end?  Perhaps Sonata or Gimmx.

#3 2008-09-14 05:29:49

fflarex

+1 for MPD

Personally I love Sonata as a frontend for it, but no matter what you do to your desktop you will be able to keep MPD and just switch frontends. And light and simple GTK+ clients are the most popular frontends, so you'll have a good selection there. Check out Sonata, Gimmix, and GMPC.

#4 2008-09-14 07:57:58

robertp

Have you tried audacious? It's a very good music player.

#5 2008-09-14 08:40:21

NoOneImportant

I would recommend mpd, but it's library driven and that probably isn't what you want. Therefore, I'm seconding audacious.

#6 2008-09-14 22:21:00

wirenik

Hmm, I'll take a look at mpd. I remember trying to set up a Sonata+MPD combo once in the past and couldn't get it working. Audacious looks ideal, but it is can't run from the tray, and that's one of my most important criteria.

moljac024: No one really knows what happens inside /dev/null... it could be a gateway to another universe....
dunc: If it is, the people who live there must be getting pretty annoyed by now with all the junk we send them.

#7 2008-09-14 22:25:47

tonyisnt

der323.png.xs.jpg

I seem to remember there being another plugin that also adds it to the tray but has different functionality.  As is, it just replicates the right click menu you'd see if you clicked on one of the windows.

I go back and forth between Quod Libet and Audacious.  For over a year Audacious was my only player,  but I kind of caught the library fever I guess.

#8 2008-09-14 23:27:58

wirenik

Hah, guess I should've checked first. Audacious is looking promising now. Only this is, at least for me, Audacious doesn't minimize to the systray, it just adds an icon that vanishes when Audacious closes. Am I missing something?

Last edited by wirenik (2008-09-14 23:33:51)

#9 2008-09-15 00:55:02

skottish
Forum Fellow

fflarex wrote:

+1 for MPD

Personally I love Sonata as a frontend for it, but no matter what you do to your desktop you will be able to keep MPD and just switch frontends. And light and simple GTK+ clients are the most popular frontends, so you'll have a good selection there. Check out Sonata, Gimmix, and GMPC.

Ario is really cool.

#10 2008-09-15 01:04:30

dav7

Well, is controlling Audacious from the tray all that... needed?

I use Global Hotkeys and have quite a few bindings set up. They work surprisingly well.

The list as it appears in the hotkey editor window:

Previous Track: Control + Alt + Prior (PgUp)
Play: Control + Alt + Return
Pause/Resume: Pause lol
Stop: Control + Alt + End
Next Tracks: Control + Alt + Next (PgDn)
Forward 5 seconds: Control + Alt + Right
Rewind 5 seconds: Control + Alt + Left
Volume Up: Control + Alt + Up
Volume Down: Control + Alt + Down
Pause/Resume: Control + Alt + Insert
Stop: Control + Shift + F11
Pause/Resume: Control + Shift + F12
Next Track: Control + Shift + F10
Forward 5 seconds: Control + Shift + F6
Rewind 5 seconds: Control + Shift + F5
Previous Track: Control + Shift + F9
Toggle Player Windows: Super + e

-dav7

Windows was made for looking at success from a distance through a wall of oversimplicity. Linux removes the wall, so you can just walk up to success and make it your own.
--
Reinventing the wheel is fun. You get to redefine pi.

#11 2008-09-15 02:29:34

wirenik

Well, is controlling Audacious from the tray all that... needed?

I don't want to control it from the tray. I want it to shrink to the tray so that no window needs to be open. I just don't like having it there cluttering up my panel.

#12 2008-09-15 03:31:31

ScriptDevil

I would suggest Jajuk if you have a huge number of devices. It is neither light or GTK. But I find it very useful for synchronizing over my various devices

Be yourself, because you are all that you can be

#13 2008-09-15 03:43:46

wirenik

Yeah, Jajuk doesn't look like anything I'd want. I use gtkpod already for my iPod.
Audacious is treating me quite well at the moment, just gotta figure out how to get it to shrink to the tray and I'll be quite happy.

#14 2008-09-15 03:57:33

skottish
Forum Fellow

wirenik wrote:

Yeah, Jajuk doesn't look like anything I'd want. I use gtkpod already for my iPod.
Audacious is treating me quite well at the moment, just gotta figure out how to get it to shrink to the tray and I'll be quite happy.

I believe that system tray support is the audacious-plugins package.

#15 2008-09-15 04:08:18

tonyisnt

wirenik wrote:

Hah, guess I should've checked first. Audacious is looking promising now. Only this is, at least for me, Audacious doesn't minimize to the systray, it just adds an icon that vanishes when Audacious closes. Am I missing something?

If you click on it it will take it off of your screen.  Minimizing/closing doesn't bring it to your tray, though.

It's worth mentioning that I also use devilspie.  So, while the window is open it usually still shows up in your taskbar/windowlist, but since I use devilspie to hide it I get the desired effect.  To my knowledge there are no players that exactly what you want (if I understand what you want correctly).  Audacious is probably the closest, though.

#16 2008-09-15 04:16:45

wirenik

If you click on it it will take it off of your screen.  Minimizing/closing doesn't bring it to your tray, though.

Ah, thank you! That did the trick. Looks like Audacious is (almost) exactly what I was looking for!

#17 2008-09-15 04:31:00

tonyisnt

Glad I could help! big_smile  Almost exactly what you're looking for is pretty damn good when you get down to it.  It's a lot better than "Oh, I wish it did X."

Board footer