You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-14 21:41:06

karabaja4
Website

LXDE panel - rightclick

Here's the story.. I had Archlinux installed with GNOME, and I wasn't very happy with it's speed, so i tried LXDE. It was very good.. so good i decided to have a clean install from zero.

So.. in old LXDE in panel menu i had the rightclick option on applications - like in gnome, with "add launcher to desktop" option.

In new installation without GNOME installed, in LXDE panel when I rightclick the icon it executes it, just like I clicked it with leftclick.. no add to desktop menu.

So my question is.. was that panel some part of GNOME? If yes, can i install it independently? It's kinda annoying to copy shortcuts from /usr/share/applications...

Thanks for your help.

P.S. If anyone with LXDE can test this at his panel.. it would be nice.. with or without gnome it doesn't matter.. just to see if it works smile

#2 2008-09-15 01:26:31

fflarex

Re: LXDE panel - rightclick

The package gnome-panel is what you're looking for. However, it depends on most of the rest of gnome too.

There are some other panels that could fill the void besides lxpanel (what LXDE uses), but I don't know enough to recommend anything other than pypanel. Other panels that I know about (but haven't used) are bmpanel, fbpanel, and perlpanel. You could also maybe try xfce's panel (xfce4-panel), which is closer to gnome's panel but still not exactly the same. It has less dependencies though.

Last edited by fflarex (2008-09-15 01:30:39)

#3 2008-09-15 09:04:48

karabaja4
Website

that is kinda strange, why would lxpanel need gnome-panel to have extra options?

unless LXDE used gnome-panel instead of lxpanel when GNOME is installed?

#4 2008-09-15 13:25:45

fflarex

Sorry, I think you misunderstood. Lxpanel does not have the feature you want. I was suggesting that you could replace it with gnome-panel if you really need it.

#5 2008-09-15 18:39:53

wirenik

When GNOME was installed, it used a program called gnome-panel for the panel. LXDE uses an entirely different program called lxpanel. Like fflarex said, you can install gnome-panel from the repositories if you want, but it depends on a lot of other GNOME stuff too. I use pypanel, but there are other panels (fflarex covered most of them) too, some of which support adding launchers.

moljac024: No one really knows what happens inside /dev/null... it could be a gateway to another universe....
dunc: If it is, the people who live there must be getting pretty annoyed by now with all the junk we send them.

Board footer