You are not logged in.

#1 2004-08-30 00:08:19

bruno

GPL ain't allways good

Haven't got answers at OSNews, so I'd like to hear some opinions from you guys:

http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_ … 135#275182

On software services (where support sells) and products where the content matters more that the engine, GPL helps.
On software products (where support doesn't sell) and specifically on those where the engine matters more than the content, GPL hurts.

About content and engine, I was talking about desktop software like games, enciclopaedias, office suites, authoring programs.
About software services, I'm talking about software on which the support matters more than the code itself.

Just about sharing opinions, no trolling intended.

Cheers,
Bruno

#2 2004-09-04 21:05:11

aCoder
Website

Re: GPL ain't allways good

Well, I would disagree and say that 'content' is a more difficult situation in general for OSS, but I may have a different idea of content.  I should probably go read the entire article now...

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#3 2004-09-06 23:01:50

zeppelin
Website

this is very old news.
OSNews is a nice site, but you should read the comments only when those comments are from people that are somehow important.

else you're just losing your time.

this guy that wrote this can have it Commercial and if he has a success MS will make an identical product put it in Windows and his company will die.

Is this his ideal on nonGPL world.
Mine is not. It's just what YOU think and not others.

GPL is good for everything but games [at the state games industry is ATM]

Office Suite = OpenOfficeOrg (XML+UTF8)= LGPL
Offce Suite = MSOffce (binary crap, blair knows it first hand) == $$$$$$$$$$$$$ = Happy_faces at Microsoft.com

#4 2004-09-07 00:56:45

aCoder
Website

GPL is good for everything but games [at the state games industry is ATM]

Even the way games in general are ATM.  Have you noticed how long it takes to make skins, maps, and mods now?  Just imagine how long it would've took id to put together Doom 3's content in thier 'spare time', as would've been the case if it was an OSS project.  Most desktop apps, however, are not so complex, and anyone who claims MS Office is probably more complete than OO.o or GNOME/KDE office, because it's backed by a corporation, has lost it.

If you develop an ear for sounds that are musical it is like developing an ego. You begin to refuse sounds that are not musical and that way cut yourself off from a good deal of experience.
  - John Cage

#5 2004-09-08 06:41:35

zeppelin
Website

aCoder, oh sweet nuthin' ain't nuthing at all...
and The Ocean hah? Nice work there my boy wink

Board footer