slackhack

new package - tea

the tea text editor, i really like this thing:

pkgname=tea
pkgver=2.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="a powerful gtk2 text editor"
url="http://tea.linux.kiev.ua/"

depends=('xorg' 'gtk2' 'glibc' 'aspell')
source=(http://tea.linux.kiev.ua/$pkgname.tar.bz2)
md5sums=(c1065c65ec03d64c072b228fed86e9cd)

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
  make || return 1
  make prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr install
}

#2 2004-08-11 15:27:11

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: new package - tea

Well, it's good that you mentioned the editor is only for GNU/Linux... after all, we might have used it in our windows distro... or that one we're creating for AIX...

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-08-11 16:11:21

slackhack

actually, thanks for pointing that out. the author says it's also for *BSD. tongue

#4 2004-08-11 17:54:51

lanrat

prefix=/usr/local

Did you read arch package building guidelines ? Is it absolutely necessary ? Normally it should be just /usr (you also install it in /usr not /usr/local at the same time).

About dependencies: is adding xorg/xfree/x-server necessary too?  Gtk2 depends on pango for example, which depends on xfree already. This whole xorg/xfree/x-server stuff is going to be a little messy... roll
The same with glibc: tea->gtk2->glib2->glibc (you can check "manually" what depends on what with pacman -Qi packagename).

I can't see any screenshot on the tea editor webpage but having install howto in a form of ogg song is a nice thing :-)

#5 2004-08-11 20:24:15

slackhack

lanrat wrote:

prefix=/usr/local

Did you read arch package building guidelines ? Is it absolutely necessary ? Normally it should be just /usr (you also install it in /usr not /usr/local at the same time).

About dependencies: is adding xorg/xfree/x-server necessary too?  Gtk2 depends on pango for example, which depends on xfree already. This whole xorg/xfree/x-server stuff is going to be a little messy... roll
The same with glibc: tea->gtk2->glib2->glibc (you can check "manually" what depends on what with pacman -Qi packagename).

I can't see any screenshot on the tea editor webpage but having install howto in a form of ogg song is a nice thing :-)

when i left prefix=/usr, it installed to /usr/bin, and calling "tea" gave an error that there was no /usr/local/bin/tea. so i changed it to /usr/local, and it worked.

about the dependcies, i guess i see your point, i was just following earlier recommendations about using namcap and putting in all the dependencies it listed. i can take them out if you want, but technically it's not wrong, is it?

#6 2004-08-11 20:41:36

sarah31
Website

technically it is not wrong no but  remember namcap is only recommending things it is not absolute law.  knowing how package are interdependent can save you alot of time.  for example here gtk2 requires x-server therefore to fulfill gtk2 you have to have at least an x-server and the dependencies of x-server may bring in other needed dependencies. so tracing dependencies can make your package dependencies slimmer and more efficient.

another reason it is good to understand the application and its dependencies is because some programs are very modular, such as transcode. with transcode you have maybe foru absolutely required packages and that is all that should be listed as dependencies. Adding depends like xvidcore or  image magik is not necessary because those apps are only required if you are wanting to use those features of transcode.  I may want them but another person may not want to install xvidcore or image magik.

i am not saying always be minimalist but consider minimalists users. Just put in the most common features and feature you are used to. Time will tell if more needs to be built in or one can just use abs to make their special changes. thats what makes arch so nice ... it can be slim or fat with little effort

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2004-08-11 20:52:25

tehdely
Website

I'm posting in this thread.

[Arch GNUstep Repository] [ PKGBUILDS ]
[code][gnustep]
Server = ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep[/code]

#8 2004-08-12 15:45:09

lanrat

slackhack wrote:

when i left prefix=/usr, it installed to /usr/bin, and calling "tea" gave an error that there was no /usr/local/bin/tea. so i changed it to /usr/local, and it worked.

Strange. How calling tea gave you the error of tea binary not present in /usr/local/bin ? :-) Anyway, I changed your pkgbuild to this

pkgname=tea
pkgver=2.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="Powerful gtk2 text editor"
url="http://tea.linux.kiev.ua/"
depends=('gtk2' 'aspell')
source=(http://tea.linux.kiev.ua/$pkgname.tar.bz2)
md5sums=(c1065c65ec03d64c072b228fed86e9cd)

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make || return 1
  make prefix=$startdir/pkg/usr install
}

and it works fine except when it segfaults when you try to run manual from a menu (that's probably because the docs directory is not installed).

slackhack wrote:

about the dependcies, i guess i see your point, i was just following earlier recommendations about using namcap and putting in all the dependencies it listed. i can take them out if you want, but technically it's not wrong, is it?

I think namcap needs some updating too (problems with x-server/xfree/xorg + mesa, makedepends, accusing me I'm a "Bad boy" ;-) siriously - it happens when I try to run namcap -i on my rekall PKGBUILD because namcap thinks I'm trying to run rm -r / in it - of course I'm not trying to do this).

#9 2004-08-12 21:01:30

sarah31
Website

lanrat wrote:

I think namcap needs some updating too (problems with x-server/xfree/xorg + mesa, makedepends, accusing me I'm a "Bad boy" ;-) siriously - it happens when I try to run namcap -i on my rekall PKGBUILD because namcap thinks I'm trying to run rm -r / in it - of course I'm not trying to do this).

it won't get fixed unless you tell Xentac (jason c.). i haven't used it in a dogs age though as i have no interest in building packages anymore and what one i have built i already know the depends.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#10 2004-08-12 21:31:26

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

If you have problems with namcap, tell me about them.  I'll tell you to go soak your head... though, they may be legitimate issues that I can address.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#11 2004-08-13 00:46:11

lanrat

I'll tell you to go soak your head...

That's exactly what I expected :-)

But I think x-server/mesa/libgl issues are already being discussed on the mailing list, aren't they?

Sorry I just completly forgot to tell you about the "Bad boy" error. My rekall pkgbuild is here http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … ght=rekall.
And this is the output of namcap

namcap -i PKGBUILD 
PKGBUILD (rekall)    W: Missing Maintainer tag
PKGBUILD (rekall)    W: Missing CVS Id tag
PKGBUILD (rekall)    E: Looks like you're trying to rm -r /.  Bad boy!

Maybe it's a problem with regular expressions ?

#12 2004-08-13 04:39:35

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Email me about it.

But yeah, that particular one is a stupid rule that I wrote.  I'll probably take it out in the next version.

Email me about your strange x-server/mesa/libgl issue with namcap.  I don't know if I've heard of that one...

- Blaise Pascal

#13 2004-08-13 12:31:27

lanrat

Acctually everything is here already

namcap -i tea-2.0-1.pkg.tar.gz 
tea        E: Dependency detected and not included (xorg)
tea        W: Library var/abs/local/tea has no package associated
tea        I: Link dependence on gcc
tea        I: Link dependence on aspell
tea        I: Link dependence on freetype2
tea        I: Link dependence on glibc
tea        I: Link dependence on zlib
tea        I: Link dependence on atk
tea        I: Link dependence on gtk2
tea        I: Link dependence on fontconfig
tea        I: Link dependence on xorg
tea        I: Link dependence on pango
tea        I: Link dependence on glib2
tea        I: Link dependence on expat
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (gcc)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (xfree86)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (freetype2)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (freetype1)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (libtiff)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (fontconfig)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (glibc)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (zlib)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (pkgconfig)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (atk)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (libjpeg)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (libpng)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (pango)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (glib2)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (expat)
tea        I: Dependency covered by dependences from link dependence (binutils)
tea        I: Depends as namcap sees them: depends=(aspell xorg gtk2)

I understand it's not namcap fault really. It want's xorg because I have xorg installed and gtk2 depends on pango which depends on xfree. Normally namcap shouldn't show xorg (or even x-server) but I understand why it does this. I'm sure with time it will be selfsolved  - I mean when all packages that now depend on xfree/xorg will depend on x-server.
I don't know why namcap (again not really namcap's fault I think) often recommends mesa now (usually for kde applications). It started some time ago. And I have nvidia drivers installed with nvidia-installer so namcap can't find a package which owns ligGL files. I'm still researching mesa/libGL issue and when I find something useful I'll mail it to you.

Sorry I'm posting this only here but I think it can be useful for others too.

EDIT:
BTW "W: Library var/abs/local/tea" is probably a "bug" too. I get this warning for every package I'm building. But most people just don't use -i option, I think :-)

EDIT2: I'm sending a more detailed email now...

#14 2004-08-13 20:51:38

slackhack

lanrat wrote:

Strange. How calling tea gave you the error of tea binary not present in /usr/local/bin ? :-)

i totally have no idea, unless it's because i had it installed before as a non-arch package. ? i did make uninstall of that version before installing the makepkg version, though, so i don't really understand it.

> so i just went back and removed it, remade it with prefix=/usr, and now it does work from there. i must have done something dumb before, but i assure you 100 percent it was saying it couldn't find it. tongue

and it works fine except when it segfaults when you try to run manual from a menu (that's probably because the docs directory is not installed).

i didn't know why that was happening, but you can always access the manual from /usr/share/doc/tea/doc/en/index.html (unless you read russian, then it's /ru/index.html big_smile). i just made a bookmark to there from tea and then open it in firefox from the Bro menu.

#15 2004-09-07 05:30:07

dammit

Hi
just to let u know there a new version of tea, version 3.0, but still doesnt address the problem with the segmentation fault with the manual.
thx
dammit

Board footer