You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-15 12:23:00

ataylor

recommendation for new laptop

I'm hopefully going to be purchasing a new laptop over the next few days and need some advice.. something that has a good screen, between 15" and 17", good performance with everday tasks, but doesn't need to be a gaming machine - will mainly be using it for movies, latex editing and music. Would like something thats fairly hassle free to set up with Arch.

I'm currently looking at the Dell Studio 17, IBM Thinkpad R61 and the Lenovo 3000 N200.

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Lenovo_3 … ersion.asp
http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Lenovo_T … ersion.asp
http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/produ … dhs&~ck=mn (first one on the left)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

#2 2008-09-15 12:41:40

pelle.k

Re: recommendation for new laptop

It would seem that dell, lenovo and hp are the most linux compatible notebooks there is, judging from what one can read on several linux forums. Since you already are thinking of a dell studio, and a lenovo, might i suggest something from the HP dv9XXX series? Unfortunately the new dv7 series are too "new" to do really well with linux ATM.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#3 2008-09-15 13:26:15

bones
Website

I prefer Thinkpads because they seem solid and can take a reasonable beating. Just bought another last week (R61). Got it up and running within a day with the inbuilt wireless and suspend working perfectly. Haven't tried hibernate though because I only use suspend which is all I've ever used.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#4 2008-09-15 16:01:04

ataylor

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at HP, but they do generally seem to be more expensive than Lenovo/Dells in the same range, plus I can't seem to find a supplier in the UK apart from HP direct that price them competitively (or even stock the latest series).

@bones: Good to hear a R61 is working out! Out of interest, is the build quality of the R series comparable to that of the T series? I've been through multiple older T series laptops and have always found them to be fairly resilient.

There are a few Samsungs that look fairly good too:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/937014

Last edited by ataylor (2008-09-15 16:05:07)

#5 2008-09-15 18:16:17

zyghom
Website

Msi Ex700

Zygfryd Homonto

#6 2008-09-15 18:39:01

whargoul

Buy a Thinkpad and every other touchpad you will try will just seem like shit, because the trackpoint is just good as a mouse replacement - and you can play Quake Arena too with it!

Seriously, my first encounter with a laptop was a Thinkpad, and I have never gotten used to those horribly touchpads.

Arch - It's something refreshing

#7 2008-09-15 18:52:43

phisphere
Website

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segt … l=en&s=dhs
altought they don't run arch, they still run linux.
which means that buying one of these computers, you'll support linux preinstalled on new computers.
also it means that these machines run linux quite well.
and finally, you don't have to pay for windows licence.

i have dell vostro 1400, which runs linux very well.
when it comes to lenovo products: don't buy neither n200 or r61, because new thinkpad models are out soon (some are right now - SL series, which have had some good reviews and also new R and T series. when it comes to n200, lenovo doesn't even produce the 3000 line anymore - it's repleaced with ideapad series).

#8 2008-09-15 19:24:18

pelle.k

because the trackpoint is just good as a mouse replacement

Yeah, i like those thingies. I would prefer a notebook without a touchpad, just a trackpoint.
Too bad you can't have thinkpads with the S-IPS panels anymore though. TN is horrible, but you get used to it i guess.

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#9 2008-09-16 18:13:23

cschep
Website

I just got a new Lenovo t61. The build quality is excellent. I ended up with the 14" standard screen and I love the dimensions. That being said, Lenovo was a bitch to deal with. I ordered a laptop 8/3/08. They pushed my shipping date back twice, eventually it ended up at 9/3. I canceled with them and bought a pre-configured new-in-box laptop from a guy on ebay. saved 350$ and it got here on like 8/28.

Great machines, but it's worth mentioning that the stories you read online about everyone's orders taking forever are true. Be prepared to wait a month for a custom ordered machine from Lenovo. I actually read that it was due to battery stock being short? Regardless, they should have been up front with me (and everyone else).

I also agree that it is a cool thing to "vote with your wallet". If Lenovo's or Dell's machines that run linux (albeit not arch) suit your configuration needs, buy one of those. Lenovo wasn't selling their SLED laptops with discrete graphics (dunno why) so I had to pass on that.

Either way, enjoy the machine!

Board footer