You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-15 07:41:02

JeremyTheWicked

[solved] Touchpad (and other stuff) doesn't work after kernel upgrade.

Hi guys.

After the recent kernel upgrade I get a lot of messages on boot about lacking kernel modules: as a result the touchpad doesn't work, there is no sound etc.

This is not the first time that the new kernel package is not in sync with kernel modules. I love Arch but if this keeps coming I think I'll go for some other distro.

Now that my rant is over: any solutions, anyone?

Edit: BTW. Same thing happens when I try the fallback kernel. Luckily I built a custom kernel a while ago as an emergency - otherwise I wouldn't be able to write this.

Last edited by JeremyTheWicked (2008-09-17 14:33:29)

arch(3) adj amused because you think you understand something better than other people ;P

#2 2008-09-15 08:18:10

byte

Re: [solved] Touchpad (and other stuff) doesn't work after kernel upgrade.

"recent kernel upgrade" -> from X to Y?
"lot of messages on boot" -> ...?

There's quite a bit lacking here...

#3 2008-09-15 08:19:59

somedrew

Are the modules not present in /lib/modules/2.6.26-ARCH, can they not be loaded, or are they just not working?
Posting the actual errors will help a lot, but in the meantime: first thing to do would be a 'depmod -a', then try to load all the modules that you're having problems with and note the errors that come up.

JeremyTheWicked wrote:

This is not the first time that the new kernel package is not in sync with kernel modules

I don't really understand. The modules are, and have to be, built against their respective kernel version and are bundled up with the kernel image in the kernel26 package: mis-matching between the two cannot occur. Or did I not interperet that statement correctly?

cheers,

#4 2008-09-15 08:32:45

JeremyTheWicked

I upgraded to 2.6.26.5-1 from whatever the former version was.

I get messages that go "cannot find module ..." Couldn't find them anywhere in /var/log Otherwise I would've posted them.

Sorry for the chaotic report but I'm about to start a 2 day train trip and don't have the time to analyse things.

arch(3) adj amused because you think you understand something better than other people ;P

#5 2008-09-15 08:41:17

byte

Rename /etc/issue and reboot, then those messages should stay on the screen (or you can use shift-pgup).

#6 2008-09-17 14:33:10

JeremyTheWicked

Hi guys.

Thanks for all the tips. I am back from the trip and I approached the problem with a new clear mind wink I did the most trivial thing: I tried and reinstalled the kernel.

Guess what... now everything works perfectly. Seems that for some obscure reason the kernel package didn't get installed correctly during the last upgrade.

Board footer