You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-05 14:08:40

neok
Website

How to backup my DVDs

Hi,

I just bought a DVD/CD read/write drive and my first DVD movies (LOTR trilogy) and I would like to set up my computer to burn backup copies of my DVD's. I am talking here about payed-for DVD's and personal backups so I guess legal questions are not raised.

I would like recomendations on console or gui tools/apps to use for backup-copying DVD's using the one combined DVD read/write drive that I have.

My thanks in advance.

Regards

Neoklis ... Ham Radio Call: 5B4AZ

#2 2004-09-07 10:49:25

ganlu

Re: How to backup my DVDs

Have you tried K3B?

#3 2004-09-07 11:47:57

neok
Website

ganlu wrote:

Have you tried K3B?

Hi,

I run a "light" desktop (Icewm+ROX filer) so I can't really install k3b. I have since tried most DVD tools avaliable in Arch but it now looks like I got it all wrong anyhow. I bought a Pioneer DVR-107D which cannot burn dual layer media and I cannot figure out a way to split my LOTR dvd's into two sessions that will fit in 4.7Gb dvd's. In any case, I can't get the drive to burn dvd+r's, economy bulk dvd's fail at laser power calibration and the more dear ones fail with some seek error after starting to burn, producing me expensive coasters!

Wish I had opted for the double layer drive, it was only 2x the price ;-)

Regards

#4 2004-09-07 15:20:30

sarah31
Website

i had cheapo brand dvds-r 's and they sucked i had to use the prodvdrecord (or whatever) from the cdrtools web site. I now use slightly more expensive name brand dvds with no issue and I can use plain old growisofs without issue.

as for "backing up" encrypted dvds i don't know if you can do a straight disc to disc copy method. I suggest hitting google.com/linux for help.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-09-07 18:07:52

neok
Website

sarah31 wrote:

i had cheapo brand dvds-r 's and they sucked i had to use the prodvdrecord (or whatever) from the cdrtools web site. I now use slightly more expensive name brand dvds with no issue and I can use plain old growisofs without issue.

So far no luck :-( - seems to reject everything I tried for different reasons. Maybe the drive is to blame.

as for "backing up" encrypted dvds i don't know if you can do a straight disc to disc copy method. I suggest hitting google.com/linux for help.

Looks like it can be done (there is a dvdbackup tool for linux) but the drive will not burn dual layer disks. Guess I will have to buy one that does and perhaps solve the other problems as well ;-)

Thanks

Regards

#6 2004-09-07 20:00:37

sarah31
Website

yeah the drive does sound a bit buggy if it cannot burn on any disk.

i will have to take a look at the app you are talking about too. thanks for the info.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#7 2004-09-13 18:54:30

seratne

neok,

I wrote up a wiki a while ago about how to do exactly this.  If you have any questions with the script please let me know smile.

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ScriptForDvdBackup

Board footer