You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-03 14:40:15

Leye

No fonts and icons in GNOME

Hi community!

I am new to Archlinux. After having used Ubuntu for a verly long time, I wanted to try another linux distribution that would suit my interests. I finally discovered Archlinux and I'd like to use it as my major operating system.

Unfortunately, I have some problems with it after the installation. The desktop environment I'd like to use is GNOME, so I installed the xorg-group, gnome and gnome-extra; made a xorg.conf-file with hwdetect, installed GDM and started a GNOME-session. The funny thing is, that GNOME doesn't display any fonts or icons. It looks weird. I can log in by typing my name and password blindly, it works, but the environment is completely without fonts.

I uploaded a screenshot so you can take a look at it. On the screenshot, I opened a terminal, the "run"-dialog and the GNOME-menu in the top left corner. [1]

At first, I thought it is because I didn't install any fonts such as Deja-Vu, so I installed them, even reinstalled xorg and GNOME, used fv-cache, but nothing has helped so far.

Perhaps you can help me with this problem. I don't know what to do now, since I still have to learn the linux materia.

[1] screenshot1tu8.th.png

Oh, you can also see on the screenshot the resolution isn't quite fine yet. I use a 1280x800 resolution, yet it is 1024x768. Where exactly do I have to change this in the xorg.conf-file?

#2 2008-09-10 00:54:24

csatlose

Re: No fonts and icons in GNOME

I'm having the same exact problem after having messed with networkmanager and compiz-fusion.  Any suggestion on how to reinstall fonts and icons?  It seems to be a gtk2 issue, although it happened with KDE too.

#3 2008-09-13 14:39:11

Leye

I also experienced that it happens with Xfce and even Fluxbox. At least yours had worked until it somehow crashed. Can you tell me what you did exactly during and after the installation?

I hope there will be some ideas on this problem.

#4 2008-09-13 15:20:44

haxit
Website

Have you edited the .gtkrc-2.0 in your home folder. It should look something like this:

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
include "/home/haxit/.themes/Nova-Arch/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

include "/home/haxit/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
gtk-icon-theme-name= "Snowish"
gtk-font-name= "Sans 8"

Icon theme should be in folder .icons and font name can be in the default font folder or .fonts

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#5 2008-09-17 03:14:27

kmclar

Leye,

What is your video card and driver?  I experienced this on my Lenovo laptop R61 with intel i965 (X3100) video.  Installing the xf86-video-intel 2.4.2-1 driver from the testing repository fixed it.

#6 2008-09-17 05:47:58

attila

@Leve The only one time i have nearly the same effect was a my user don't have acces to some of the directories under /usr. For a short test you can use "find /usr -type d | wc -l" under your user acount and than you can see if there is any "No permission" (or "Keine Berechtigung" if your locale is de_DE) output.

If the solution is not so easy than sorry for the hint and good luck.

#7 2008-09-18 13:18:48

Leye

Thanks for the advice!

My graphic card is also the Intel Extreme 965 and I've used the "intel"-driver in xorg.conf. I think I installed the xf86-video-intel-package during the installation, but I'm not sure whether the testing-repository was used. I bet if I just install the package using pacman, the older one will be installed? Do I have to manually "activate" the testing-repository for this package?

attila, I'll try your hint next time. Thanks all of you for your support. smile

#8 2008-09-19 15:39:22

kmclar

Leye,

To enable the testing repository, you must remove the # from these two lines in your /etc/pacman.conf file:

#[testing]
#Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Then, you can do "pacman -Sy testing/xf86-video-intel"

This will install xf86-video-intel 2.4.2-1 from the testing repository.

After this is done, you should restore the "#" to the two lines from which you removed it in pacman.conf so that you do not unintentionally upgrade your system with packages from testing.

Board footer