You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-19 13:25:44

corpuscallosum

VMWare Problem about running OS

Hi there

my kernel is 2.6.26 and i installed vmware-server also any any patch 117d
everything seems ok but when i try to run any OS image, there is an error says Unable to change virtual machine power state: The process exited with an error:
End of error message

when check the /var/log/vmware/

i got the following logs. http://sudrap.org/paste/4631/ and http://sudrap.org/paste/4641/

is there any ide how can i fix it ?

PS: İ got everything is successful message after the built proccess there was no error

Last edited by corpuscallosum (2008-09-19 13:45:17)

#2 2008-09-19 19:33:23

dschrute

Re: VMWare Problem about running OS

Google "Version mismatch with vmmon module: expecting 138.0, got 168.0" ....Looks like you're not the only one having the issue, probably related to the recent kernel update.

I'm not running VMWare on Arch, so I didn't look too far into it, but it didn't look like there is a fix/work-around yet, except maybe trying a older kernel version.  Likely there will be an updated "any-xxx" patch that will fix it before too long.

Arch is by far my favorite distribution, and the only one I use on the desktop.  But for something that is as kernel dependent as VMware, and in fact usually requires a less than recent kernel, my personal feeling is that there are better host OS's for it  ( VMWare ).  Since Arch runs a very current kernel and updates it frequently, it is very difficult to keep the VMWare patches in sync and you can expect frequent issues like what you're seeing now. 
If the main use of your machine is VMWare I'd think about using Slackware or CentOS, or similar as the host.  For that specific purpose, I think either of those distributions are perfect.  If VMWare isn't the main use for the machine, and you gotta have Arch, maybe delay updating your kernel quite as frequently.  This is of course just my opinion, and YMMV.

Last edited by dschrute (2008-09-19 19:45:28)

Board footer