You are not logged in.

#26 2008-07-31 10:16:42

ProtoXyne

Re: Python IDE for bigger projects

Iman wrote:

And everyone should have his own opinion, not just following the mass. That and healthy discussions are causing the progress in the world. In other way everyone would use windows and be dumb.

os_share.jpg
Depressing, isn't it?

phrakture wrote:

I am cranky and opinionated, sure, but once I hit that "submit" button, I move on. So no, I'm not annoyed at all. I noticed the same logic in you that I used to have when I began using linux, so I wanted to post. That is all.

Cheers, and sorry for the double hijacking.

Cool. Just wanted to check... some people take things the wrong way and don't let them go. Also, I myself use the command line for most things right now, simple vim for editing, etc. My "logic" is just that people are different, use whatever works for you.

Last edited by ProtoXyne (2008-07-31 10:19:42)

#27 2008-07-31 12:46:21

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

phrakture wrote:

As you can see from the left hand side there, I have the highest post count on these forums, by far. And 90% of that was before I was even an Arch developer, let alone the "Overlord".

Just for the record he's not bragging or showing off when he says this. I can tell somebody somewhere is going to read 'bragging' into this. Phrakture doesn't have time to brag.

I am cranky and opinionated, sure,

dude, you totally missed 'utter bastard' smile

Cheers, and sorry for the double hijacking.

Not me. I've got loads of hijacking to catch up on. I've lost my hijackers reputation and everything!

back on topic:  The biggest and bulkiest python ide is eric4. Its a pretty good IDE too, if you like IDEs. It does everything and it does some things quite well.

I'm in total agreement with phrakture that no IDE does anything very well. That's why I like vim. It does what I need very well. So does the command line. Even if I didn't like the command line, I'd suggest a style where you use multiple gui apps that do single things very well instead of one IDE.

There is also peppy, an attempt to rewrite xemacs in python. I think its pretty basic though.

Check out the pyxides google group as well. Its run by the author of SPE IIRC.

Dusty

#28 2008-07-31 13:02:55

wuischke

On a side note: Thanks for mentioning of PIDA, as a long time geany user (and C/C++ programmer) I find myself positively surprised by this program.

#29 2008-07-31 15:24:54

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Dusty wrote:
phrakture wrote:

As you can see from the left hand side there, I have the highest post count on these forums, by far. And 90% of that was before I was even an Arch developer, let alone the "Overlord".

Just for the record he's not bragging or showing off when he says this. I can tell somebody somewhere is going to read 'bragging' into this. Phrakture doesn't have time to brag.

The only thing I actually like to brag about? vim's python omnicompletion (context sensitive completion).

$ head -n2 /usr/share/vim/vim71/autoload/pythoncomplete.vim
"pythoncomplete.vim - Omni Completion for python
" Maintainer: Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin@gmail.com>

\o/

#30 2008-07-31 15:36:53

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Yakuake with 4 sections; 1 w/ vim on a "stable" copy of project file, 1 in workdir, 1 w/ python cli, 1 in testdir to execute project + kwrite stretched and panned to fill the rest of the screen - for working copy where the bulk of the typing happens.

Last edited by schivmeister (2008-07-31 15:38:18)

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#31 2008-07-31 20:06:51

lman

OUT OF TOPIC

Xeno the Blind wrote:

I think it's 0.89, but still sad... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_shar … ng_systems

#32 2008-08-01 05:13:51

iphitus
Forum Fellow

lman wrote:

OUT OF TOPIC

Xeno the Blind wrote:

I think it's 0.89, but still sad... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_shar … ng_systems

Not at all sad. Just means there's a helluva lot more pie left for us to eat!

#33 2008-08-08 11:43:39

rps63ifid
Website

New to Arch, but not to Linux or to app development. Have you looked at ActiveState's Komodo Edit (the free version of their Komodo IDE)? It has decent Python support (as well as other languages) and I've found it to be a decent intermediate point between what /I/ would consider a full blown IDE and "just" a text editor. I end up working on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS at various times during the day, so one of the things attractive to me among the various tools I've looked at is whether they are available across all three platforms...

Take a quick look at http://www.activestate.com/Products/kom … edit.mhtml for more information.

#34 2008-09-22 01:31:20

lukeh

easyeclipse for python distro is a good one. comes with pydev and subclipse packed in.

Board footer