You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-30 21:28:55

cwacker

/mnt/etc instead of /etc when configing in install

So, I get this really weird problem..
I'm installing ARch on a computer for dual boot use, with ubuntu.

Everything works fine up until the configuration.. The problem here is that that nano is looking for all config files under /mnt/etc/... but they are located under /etc/... and thus, I end up with empty, alternatively unconfigured files. I have looked in the mounted /etc/ and there are config files there.. Is it safe just to edit them with nano in an alternative window or is it a point in editing it in the installer? I suppose i could read /etc/.. to the file under /mnt/etc but what good will that do?

I'm using an old /boot that i mount, and an old SWAP, the / is, ofc, new.

Anybody knows what causes this and what i should do?:o

Edit: Nothing is wrong with the cd I think, successfull installs have been made with the same cd previously, not on dualboot systems though..

Edit 2: Tried to conf using the files under /etc but they don't contain what they should, looks like the second half of  the files has been cut basicly..

Last edited by cwacker (2008-07-30 21:56:22)

#2 2008-07-30 22:00:37

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: /mnt/etc instead of /etc when configing in install

The files under /etc are on the live system, not the one that has been installed. If there is nothing in /mnt, then the installation failed. Go back to the package installation step and switch to VT5 to find out what is failing.

#3 2008-08-03 16:49:29

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

I came here today to ask about the same thing.  TTY 5 doesn't show any errors, but just ends with "checking package integrity... done.".  The strange thing is, I just installed Arch from this same CD a few days ago, and everything was fine.  The only difference between that installation and this one (or rather, the last two times I've tried it) is that I didn't use the automatic partitioning scheme.

#4 2008-08-16 08:20:06

loosec

Check the wiki and do a manual install or download the latest usb-image. I think this is more or less an issue with older cd isos.

Regarding the manual installation, or semi-manual or whatever feels good to say, this part of the dmraid-wiki might help.

Last edited by loosec (2008-08-16 08:20:29)

#5 2008-09-22 14:37:22

WakiMiko

Same problem here. Im using the 2008.06 core iso.

All config files are empty/newly created when starting vi. /mnt/etc doesnt exit, though all partitions were mounted successfully. the strange thing is that i installed arch from the same CD just fine on another PC before. the only thing i did different this time was creating partitions manually instead of using auto-prepare since im going to dual boot with vista.

Board footer