You are not logged in.

#1 2004-07-03 01:34:27

Haakon

[devel: mono] "mono-extras" repository

In light of the excellent new mono/gtk-sharp packages in extra after the mono 1.0 release, I went ahead and made the "missing pieces" to make Arch a kick-ass distro for mono development. smile

My packages are:* monodevelop
* monodoc
* gecko-sharp
* gtksourceview-sharp
* nemerleLooking back through the forums, I see others have made packages for some of these already (which is fun to find out when you're laying the final hands on your own! wink. However, mine are of course newer, and will be maintained (updated quickly) in my own repository, which I call "mono-extras" for now. Sooner or later I hope these can be moved into extra along with the other mono related packages, but as of now, I believe the package submission system is being revised, and I certainly don't like the looks of incoming. So for now, you can get at my packages by adding this to your /etc/pacman.conf:

[mono-extras]
Server = http://www.ii.uib.no/~haakon/arch/mono-extras

Now, I'm no super-genious (or are I?), so there may be things in the PKGBUILD files that are less than perfect (you can gawk at them at http://www.ii.uib.no/~haakon/arch/). I've used namcap on them and tested them from several angles, and they seem to work fine, but any feedback is most welcome, either here or to haakon (at) ii.uib.no.

Jabber: haakon@jabber.org

#2 2004-07-03 07:45:47

IceRAM
Website

Re: [devel: mono] "mono-extras" repository

1. Did you create a group for them (eg "mono-extras".. or "mono" & "mono-extras") just for a quick download?
2. Do the packages in your repository somehow overload the packages in extra? (I mean, I no longer need those - I have never used mono but I plan using it, that's why I'm asking)

Lots of thanks.

IceRAM

#3 2004-07-03 10:12:53

Haakon

IceRAM wrote:

1. Did you create a group for them (eg "mono-extras".. or "mono" & "mono-extras") just for a quick download?
2. Do the packages in your repository somehow overload the packages in extra? (I mean, I no longer need those - I have never used mono but I plan using it, that's why I'm asking)

Both of these questions seem to assume that I provide my own "mono" package etc. This is not the case, my packages depend on mono and gtk-sharp from extra, I just provide additional packages to that. So a group wouldn't really make sense or be possible (I haven't really looked at how that works). Just install monodevelop if you want "all" packages smile

Also, again, the packages don't "overload" any other packages -- they're designed to play nice with the existing packages in extra, and I will keep it that way (if some change in extra broke anything in "mono-extras", I'd fix that on my part).

#4 2004-07-16 15:22:15

mr_ed

I got an interesting result after installing your packages.

It's like it's not using the window manager.

When I start up monodevelop, it shows up in the top-left corner with no window border, therefore no way to resize it or close it short of opening a console and killing it.

<rant>Why is Mono and friends so bloody hard to install?  They're "releases" for frig's sake!  To build it from the release, it should be as simple as ./configure && make.
They make you jump through hoops just to get it to install.  And this will make developers want to use it how...?
</rant>

#5 2004-07-18 12:56:52

Haakon

mr_ed: I have no idea what's causing your problem. I use it under KDE with no problems. I do however have a friend who experienced something of the same as you I think, when he tried to install Monodevelop, but that was on a different distro alltogether.

To all:

Unrelated to my repository, packages for Monodevelop and all dependencies are now available in STAGING. I don't know the packager, but judging from his PKGBUILD files, he seems to know what he's doing, and I trust he will keep the packages up to date (if he reads this, please say you will smile. So please use STAGING instead of mono-extras.

#6 2004-09-01 10:49:10

Cobra

I use the STAGING repository and I got a message while I was upgrading with pacman -Syu

:: monodevelop-0.5-1: local version is newer
:: monodoc-1.0-1: local version is newer
:: Above packages will be skipped.  To manually upgrade use 'pacman -S <pkg>'
[root@Nectar]-[/home/laurens]-4-#> pacman -S monodoc
:: monodoc-1.0-1: local version is newer.  Upgrade anyway? [Y/n] y

Targets: monodoc-1.0-s2

n

So... What's the deal with the 's2' suffix? Should I up(down)grade?

#7 2004-09-07 03:28:01

freakyc

I've been wondering this as well.  I'm assuming it is a newer package.  But I'm waiting on finding out for sure before upgrading them.  So this is basically a bump.

#8 2004-09-09 16:49:32

Cobra

I have upgraded them and there were no problems.

Board footer