You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-08 02:07:27

skoal
Website

".gtkrc"? What is this for?

Anyone know what the ".gtkrc" file is for?

That file is found in my root home directory.  It was not in any of my user home directories.

* All users have the same font, window manager settings and every application looks the same for root and users except for an application like XMMS.  The menu uses a bigger font for non-root users than root.  Im not talking about the application controlled font settings you can change in the "preferences" options.  This file apparently affects any GTK app fonts that are not controlled by window manager settings.

I copied the ".gtkrc" file to my user home directories and now XMMS uses the same fonts for menu text as my root does.

I don't know when or how that file got there, but it was never in any of my user home directories.  I can only conclude that during a pacman upgrade of GTK libs or related GTK libs (like gtk-xfce-engine), it got placed there, but not for my normal users.

#2 2004-09-08 05:26:38

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: ".gtkrc"? What is this for?

Well, I just checked that and found I have the opposite situation. The file is in my user home directory but not in my root directory.  It could be because when I do pacman I am in my user home directory.  I don't know what it does but it looks like fonts settings for xfce.

#3 2004-09-08 05:42:08

patrix

.gtkrc is a file that contains.. gtk's configuration for that user. GTK 1.x I think... so the look of gtk 1.x applications is determined by what's in there.

In the old days, before gtk2 and gnome's theme manager, users had to replace/edit their .gtkrc to change GTK themes!

Patrix.

#4 2004-09-08 07:55:20

skoal
Website

patrix wrote:

.gtkrc is a file that contains.. gtk's configuration for that user. GTK 1.x I think... so the look of gtk 1.x applications is determined by what's in there.

That would make sense.  Most of the newer applications I have running (which use GTK2.x) all seem uniform in apperance.  It's only some of the more venerable (older) applications like XMMS and Netscape which seem to be affected by that ".gtkrc" file, since they still use GTK1.x libs I assume.  I haven't built XMMS from source in a while, but I just assumed most GUI apps these days have long since migrated to GTK2 libs within the last year or so.

It still begs the question why this ".gtkrc" file was only found in my root home directory and not in my user directories.  They all use "xfce-4" as their DE.  I'm just curious if this file was:

1. Automatically generated by a window manager or DE the first time a user launches that window manager or DE, as part of default initialization.  If so, I would question why it was not created when a non-root user launched the window manager or DE for the first time.

2. Placed there by some pacman update.  And, if so, should one of these GTK related arch packages be placing this file in the '/etc' directory instead.

Even though I run a distribution like Arch now (for some time), I kinda miss the good ole days of building my entire Linux box from scratch source, knowing where every file came from and for what reason.  Especially, when me and many others (as seen in these forums) have been wrestling with fonts for some time now.

Either way, at least I know what this file is for, and thanks for the response.  Now, unfortunately, I have to make per application font settings for specific applications using older GTK libs in another resource file, whereas I would have liked to have seen all that "rendered" (for lack of a better word) by the window manager/DE.  But, I guess it's unavoidable if some apps still stick to older GUI libs.

thanks for the input.

#5 2004-09-10 07:39:02

nggalai
Website

.gtkrc is usually not generated automatically. Seems as if a package you installed put it on the disc for you.

And yes, it's for controlling GTK1.x applications, e.g. what theme to use for 'em.

-Sascha.rb

Board footer