You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-14 03:26:56

pixelrider

hwd not working properly.....

I wanted to see if there were any other users out there that are having problems with hwd not properly detecting their video card and monitor recently.

I have recently switched over to archlinux (in the last month or so) and in the begnning I had no problems setting up xorg on my system. Recenty I tried to reinstall arch (I mucked up my system by playing with things....not arches fault) and when I got to the point of setting up x, I ran hwd -xa as usual, and it only gave me the vesa drivers. I have used the same command before, and it saw my monitor (20.1" dell @ 1680x1050) and my video card (nvidia 7900gs) properly. I did every thing else the same. Did I not notice a change in the version of hwd somewhere? I have confirmed this issue with a partner of mine on various hardware setups in the last week or so.

So is anyone else seeing this issue pop up?

I got nothin'......

#2 2008-09-14 03:32:29

ybotspawn

Re: hwd not working properly.....

had this happen to me with some vmservers I was building, I have to go home to get the version I used previously, but the most recent vmservers have all been defaulting to vesa... Ill post back tomorrow afternoon.  Looks like it was again updated today, i wonder if it was an issue that was fixed in todays release? Ill be lazy and check when I get home

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway,
why not get the benefit of it? It liberates you from convention. "

#3 2008-09-14 06:43:51

byte

I think hwd is unmaintained for quite a long time now and also not an official or recommended tool at all.
The only thing I've ever used for creating an xorg.conf in my 5 years with Linux is 'X -configure'.

#4 2008-09-26 19:33:39

ybotspawn

byte wrote:

I think hwd is unmaintained for quite a long time now and also not an official or recommended tool at all.
The only thing I've ever used for creating an xorg.conf in my 5 years with Linux is 'X -configure'.

Yeah, if you want the EASY way.  smile

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway,
why not get the benefit of it? It liberates you from convention. "

Board footer