You are not logged in.

#1 2002-09-24 20:38:45

Brophy

So far so good

Got my disc yesterday, thanks sarah31, and have had a generally easy time of it so far.  Had to remember that /dev/psaux was the mouse and I never write down my refresh rates so I had to look those up.  I couldn't find the fluxbox executable as I was reading through the fluxbox install instructions off their site so I did a pacman -A off the CD and that seemed to work.  Maybe I didn't have to do that but I couldn't find it anywhere.  So withing 30 min of booting the disc I had X up and going.  Now, I've been reading through howtos left and right and have yet to find a definative way to do a dial up connection.  Most that I have read and people I talk to around here mention kppp but I'm trying to stay away from kde.  Any pointers or links to helpful howtos would be great.

Thanks,
Brophy

#2 2002-09-24 20:59:56

Gyroplast
Website

Re: So far so good

Brophy wrote:

Now, I've been reading through howtos left and right and have yet to find a definative way to do a dial up connection.

For an easy start I always like to recommend wvdial, found
here. The PPP HowTo is quite irritating for common setups, as it covers a lot of ground a "normal dialup user" simply doesnt need in the described depth.

Prepare to go through some pain if you plan on using an internal PCI modem, tho. If that's the case, check www.linmodems.org. If you are the proud owner of an external modem, fear not, as this is usually set up within minutes.

HTH,
  Gyroplast

"That's the problem with good advice. Nobody wants to hear it."
-- Dogbert

#3 2002-09-24 23:18:33

apeiro
Daddy
Website

I've created a wvdial package for arch.  It'll be up on the mirrors tonight.

#4 2002-09-25 00:41:59

Brophy

will that be in the unstable directory?

#5 2002-09-25 01:02:52

apeiro
Daddy
Website

yes, it's in the current and the gcc3 repository.

#6 2002-09-25 03:23:12

Brophy

update: nm, i found it

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.  This will be available from the ftp mirrors, right?  I only ask since I am going to have to get it using my windows box since I can't connect with arch without it, or something like it.  Everything I've seen says this should be the easiest.

Thanks
Brophy

#7 2002-09-25 07:38:04

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Yes, it will be on all the mirrors that host our packages.  Note that wvdial depends on the wvstreams package, so you'll need that as well.

#8 2002-09-26 18:04:40

Brophy

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help on this.  Didn't quite get it finished for a couple reasons.  The main one was that while I knew I had an internal modem that was not a winmodem, it had been so long I forgot that it was ISA and that the computer I'm running Arch on is lacking ISA slots.  I was about to start looking at the linmodem stuff, but now I'll be back on broadband tuesday so I will just wait.

Board footer