You are not logged in.

#26 2008-09-30 15:16:40

kett

Re: Gentoo user, questions about arch, -possibly switching to Arch.

I've always had the best luck with static ip's with wireless, using the netcfg.  It's on the coreCD. It's wiki page is here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg

But basically you put a file in /etc/network.d/yourwireless (you can name it whatever you want) that looks something like this

CONNECTION=wireless
DESCRIPTION=""
HOSTNAME=yourhostname (this sets the hostname on the network to whatever you want)
INTERFACE=wlan0
IP=static
IFOPTS="192.168.2.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.2.255"  (You need to set these to your networks specs)
GATEWAY=192.168.2.1 (As with this)
SECURITY=wpa
KEY=yourwirelesspassword
ESSID=yourwirelessname
SCAN=YES
TIMEOUT=10

And then after that file is in place. You can test to see if it works by running this command with root privileges

netcfg yourwireless

Hope that helps

Last edited by kett (2008-09-30 15:18:31)

#27 2008-09-30 16:00:56

dsr

On the fstab subject, your single dvd-rw drive should be located at /dev/sr0. /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd are just symlinks. I've never bothered to set up HAL, so I just have a line in my fstab that mounts /dev/sr0 at /media/optical. Typing "mount /media/optical" or "mount /dev/sr0" mounts CDs and DVDs.

By the way, I use defaults for my swap partition, and I haven't had any problems. I'm not sure what the functional difference is, though.

#28 2008-09-30 16:21:40

kforum

kett wrote:

I've always had the best luck with static ip's with wireless, using the netcfg.  It's on the coreCD. It's wiki page is here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netcfg

But basically you put a file in /etc/network.d/yourwireless (you can name it whatever you want) that looks something like this

CONNECTION=wireless
DESCRIPTION=""
HOSTNAME=yourhostname (this sets the hostname on the network to whatever you want)
INTERFACE=wlan0
IP=static
IFOPTS="192.168.2.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.2.255"  (You need to set these to your networks specs)
GATEWAY=192.168.2.1 (As with this)
SECURITY=wpa
KEY=yourwirelesspassword
ESSID=yourwirelessname
SCAN=YES
TIMEOUT=10

And then after that file is in place. You can test to see if it works by running this command with root privileges

netcfg yourwireless

Hope that helps

im not sure i see how this helps me select wireless-tools or WPA_supp as teh manager.

i mean only ONE of them can manage wifi, correct?
in gentoo it would be like this, you would set modules= "wpa_supplicant" and then set the driver for the interface=> wpa_supplicant_wlan0 ="-Dwext"

and then if you config'ed the wpa_supplicant.conf right, you got yourself wifi acess... ^^;

#29 2008-09-30 17:25:10

kforum

combining what you said with :http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wpa_supplicant.

maybe i can make this work, but im still not sure how to make this work per essid(as in have my static ip only set for the essid at home, so when im on teh move, it uses the local dhcp).

i fi create multiple network profiles for the same interface? (as in... will it not cause conflict?)

on a side note, it would be much more 'the arch way' if i could just config most of this under rc.conf.(i believe anyhow)
like the example i gave in my last post.

-ill try to get it working anyway.

thanks

#30 2008-09-30 17:29:56

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

??confused??
wireless_tools are simply the userspace tools for low-level wireless interaction. Why are you asking "what helps you select" to use it or something else? You can use wireless_tools from the command line if you choose to do so...or not.
There is much information in the wiki and on the net to get you started if you have never used it. wireless_tools is not an Arch-specific project.
There is also a wpa_supplicant page in the wiki.
Have you checked out the Wireless wiki article? It specifically cites a method of using rc.conf to manage your connection.
It sounds like you could pretty easily solve these issues by reading the associated wiki pages.
After reading the Wireless wiki page, choose a method of management and go for it.

Board footer