You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-30 19:29:27

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Wine-run app disappears when using Xfce4

I'd like help diagnosing a strong problem, please.

When I use Xfce4, I have a problem with an app that I frequently run under Wine.

The app in question is Barca, which is a Windows e-mail client (actually, Pocomail + organizer) that I really like and have used for a long time. It normally runs very well under Linux using Wine (actually, CrossOver).

In Xfce4, however, nearly every session the app just sort of disappears after a while. Actually, it's still there, as I can see from checking running processes. And its icon remains in the notification area of the tray. In fact, I can even activate a few of its functions by right-clicking on that icon. However, I cannot for the life of me make the program's primary screen -- where I read mail and so on -- show up. I have to exit the program and relaunch.

Now, to make matters more complicated, I'm running Barca under a chrooted 32-bit Arch subsystem. I launch it using "dchroot -d '/opt/cxoffice/bin/wine --bottle Barca --cx-app Barca.exe' ".  (What a lot of trouble I go to to keep using this favorite old app.)

This doesn't happen when I run Barca-Wine/CrossOver under KDE4 or OpenBox.

Why, you may ask, don't I just use a nifty native Linux mail client like Sylpheed. Well, I have, but when I was a prisoner of Windows, I developed a Stockholm-syndrome sort of relationship with a few Windows-only apps, Barca being one of them.

Does anybody have any experience with this sort of thing? I'm talking about the disappearing Wine-run app, not the Stockholm syndrome. Thanks very much.

Last edited by dhave (2008-09-30 19:51:25)

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

Board footer