You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-10 01:30:08

dp
Website

control or be controled

http://www.gamgi.org/documentation/install.html -> last sentence of "Options":

Users will never feel the joy and raw power of free software until the day they make simple modifications on the source code and see the results working on the executable they built. It's the whole difference between controlling the software and being controlled by it!

8)

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#2 2004-09-10 03:43:32

paranoos

Re: control or be controled

damn right. it feels really great to submit a patch to an open source app you use, and watch it get accepted into the main tree.

big_smile maybe one day i'll contribute to the kernel.

#3 2004-09-10 15:04:07

sarah31
Website

pfft

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2004-09-10 17:52:44

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

sarah31 wrote:

pfft

You don't know this feeling Sarah?

#5 2004-09-11 18:17:32

sarah31
Website

my contributions to some early development of transcode for OSX were noted in their changelog. it was neat but really ....

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-09-11 20:32:19

slackhack

dp wrote:

Users will never feel the joy and raw power of free software until the day they make simple modifications on the source code and see the results working on the executable they built. It's the whole difference between controlling the software and being controlled by it!

i guess that leaves us non-programmers out in the cold. tongue

--joyless slackhack big_smile

#7 2004-09-13 03:46:34

sarah31
Website

slackhack wrote:

not at all. non-programmers like myself can do thing like trying to compile source and giving feedback to developers about it and the functioning of the program. developing a good interaction with developers can go far.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2004-09-13 06:49:14

dp
Website

sarah31 wrote:
slackhack wrote:

not at all. non-programmers like myself can do thing like trying to compile source and giving feedback to developers about it and the functioning of the program. developing a good interaction with developers can go far.

but often doesn't

#9 2004-09-13 15:27:34

sarah31
Website

how would you know? have you tried this several times or just once without success. I have had issues solved or fixed on several occasions by developers of sw. 

why would you want to discourage people from trying to help with projects in ways they know how? Unless a developer is a complete jackass they have a very large stake in responding to user data. in fact isn't this easy passage of info upstream and it being incorporated into the sw exactly what people praise about open source? Why would people even bother with using sw, open source or not, if they were not going to be heard.

The "advantage" of beuing able to "see" the source is of no use to the many many non-programmers out there in the open source community. So why have it then? why even bother? If open source developers are only going to listen to programmers then they are only going to have an app that appeals to a select few.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#10 2004-09-13 21:26:36

dp
Website

sarah31 wrote:

how would you know? have you tried this several times or just once without success. I have had issues solved or fixed on several occasions by developers of sw. 

why would you want to discourage people from trying to help with projects in ways they know how? Unless a developer is a complete jackass they have a very large stake in responding to user data. in fact isn't this easy passage of info upstream and it being incorporated into the sw exactly what people praise about open source? Why would people even bother with using sw, open source or not, if they were not going to be heard.

The "advantage" of beuing able to "see" the source is of no use to the many many non-programmers out there in the open source community. So why have it then? why even bother? If open source developers are only going to listen to programmers then they are only going to have an app that appeals to a select few.

exactly! (i was only dipressed, that it often is not the case - maybe that's the reason why gnome is dying and kde is more florissant then ever) so all people around: have a look at the source of things you use and contact the programmer if you have any ideas!

#11 2004-09-14 05:05:26

sarah31
Website

pfft i give up trying to understand you dp.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#12 2004-09-14 14:18:14

dp
Website

sarah31 wrote:

pfft i give up trying to understand you dp.

i'm very sorry - speaking with people directly is easier than only typing messages in a forum ;-) ... i'm understandable much better in natura

my main point was, that the users and consumers of opensource often do not care about the source or giving feedback to devs (except "such bad software" or "wow, great tool" - where the first is demotivation, the second motivation, but both are not constructive in the sense of helping the dev with feedback) - the interaction with teh devs can really go far, but often it does not, becaues it is easier to only consume than to be part of the process

Board footer