You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-28 18:08:40

jordanwb

[Solved]Keyboard shortcut to change workspace in Gnome

I have my virtual machines run in full screen mode. Occasionally I'll want to switch workspaces in Gnome. How would I go about setting a keyboard shortcut to change the workspace?

Last edited by jordanwb (2008-09-30 21:52:22)

#2 2008-09-28 19:16:22

moljac024

Re: [Solved]Keyboard shortcut to change workspace in Gnome

Even if you do set the shortcut, you wouldn't have much use of it in the situation you described because those key presses would be caught and handled by the virtual machine.
Try it now. Hit alt+tab and see if you change window focus in the virtual machine or in your actual window manager.

Although you didn't mention which virtualization software you are using, I'm pretty sure that's the way VirtualBox and VMware work.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#3 2008-09-29 12:26:02

jordanwb

moljac024 wrote:

Even if you do set the shortcut, you wouldn't have much use of it in the situation you described because those key presses would be caught and handled by the virtual machine.

That's what happens in VirtualBox. Ironically enough the only key that's not sent to the Virtual Machine is the Print Screen key and I use that key more in the Virtual machine than in Arch.

#4 2008-09-30 21:47:46

cschep
Website

I'm sure there is a way to lock the keys to your virtual machine. Usually there is an option where you have to press a certain key combination (ctrl+alt?) to "release" control back to your host machine.

The default key combination in gnome to switch workspaces is ctrl+alt+left(arrow key) and ctrl+alt+right(arrow key).

good luck.

#5 2008-09-30 21:52:06

jordanwb

cschep wrote:

I'm sure there is a way to lock the keys to your virtual machine. Usually there is an option where you have to press a certain key combination (ctrl+alt?) to "release" control back to your host machine.

Yeah I set it to the right Windows key.

cschep wrote:

The default key combination in gnome to switch workspaces is ctrl+alt+left(arrow key) and ctrl+alt+right(arrow key).

Thanks

Board footer