You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-30 23:28:44

Hide

Fiddling with system files

I've been trying to speed up my boot time a bit. Not that i'm dissatisfied, i'd just like to experiment a bit smile

After reading our (very insightful!) Wiki and this fine article, i've got some questions (most of them probably stupid):

1. As i understood, MOD_AUTOLOAD (in /etc/rc.conf) is for "live" loading the kernel modules (ex. USB flash). The ones below are modules needed for NIC, sound card, etc. So, basically, if i knew all the modules i needed for daily use (occasional USB flash or camera plug in), i could disable the MOD_AUTOLOAD, but manually put all those in MODULES? If so, would MOD_AUTOLOAD make the "loading udev uevents" obsolete?

Is this a bad idea (didn't seem before i started typing sad)?

2. What does netfs in DAEMONS array actually do?

3. I have already got rid of raid and lvm lines in rc.sysinit. There are some details i'd like to know. I've seen 'loopback' a lot while running arch, but never really wondered what it is (and i guess i can't trim it down). And the second one about rc.sysinit: Is there a piece of code below "set user defined locale" i can safely delete (since it mentions consolemap and consolefont, none of which i use)?

4. The last one. Does this seem safe:

Tweak 2. Udev, by default, uses it own program to load modules, which is /lib/udev/load_modules.sh. We can improve the modules loading speed of udev by using modprobe instead. Make a copy of load_modules.sh, and then replace it with a symlink to /sbin/modprobe

# cd /lib/udev
# mv load_modules.sh load_modules.sh.backup
# ln -s /sbin/modprobe load_modules.sh

?

Thanks in advance, i understand these questions are a bit pain in the neck smile

#2 2008-09-30 23:53:37

Hide

Re: Fiddling with system files

Sth weird is going on here. After reboot, sudo's not working (acutally, all the commands i prompt are accepted without any password) all of a sudden and firefox lost all its data (bookmarks, quick links etc).

All i did was:
edit hooks in mkinitcpio.conf, and then mkinitcpio -g /boot/kernel26.img. Plus, i commented out lvm and raid loops in sysinit. Actually, first time i rebooted was fine, second reboot did this.

edit:
Ok, reedited sudoers file. Still wondering what caused this?

Last edited by Hide (2008-10-01 00:04:07)

#3 2008-10-01 02:08:01

Wittfella

I think that is the same guide I looked at a while back, and I tinkered around with my system a bit and then next time I rebooted it was completely messed up.  Couldn't find my sda1, corrupt superblock, dropping into maintenance shell blah blah.

I tried to backtrack through my modifications to restore but I couldn't save it, ended up reinstalling.  Not sure which step boorked it, but I think is was to do with the mkinitcpio changes I made.

So be careful with this stuff.  If I do it again I think i'll just do one thing at a time, and reboot between each change to check.

#4 2008-10-01 05:16:32

Hide

Well, uhm, it kinda makes sense. If you removed the scsi/sata hooks, and your "/" was on that kind of hard drive, no wonder things went wrong smile

Board footer