You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-01 02:48:41

brenton
Website

Xorg, PCI Radeon 9200, and World of Warcraft.

Hi all,

I recently got myself an old system from work (P4 1.4GHz, 512MB) and bought myself anATI Radeon 9200 PCI card off Ebay (it was $10, so I didn't mind it being a big old and scungy). The plan is to play WoW on it with minimal settings (willing to play 800x600 if I have to, so really it should go fine on this hardware).

I followed the ATI archwiki post, along with a bunch of others on the net. The problems I am having (most important first) are as follows:

1) With the ATI open-source drivers, my maximum resolution seems to be 800x600, no matter what I put in my xorg.conf. I'm willing to deal with this in game, but not for my work. If I pacman -R the driver, it runs actually quite well with the vesa driver, at 1280x1024 on a dodgy old 15" CRT. I could deal with this if it would let me play, even at low res.

2) The catalyst drivers don't support this card. I tried to install them, that went fine, but aticonfig segfaulted. Sigh. If anyone can suggest a source for an older prop driver, I'd be willing to try that.

3) With the open-source driver, I can run WoW just fine at any resolution, including those my desktop won't do for some reason, BUT the screen takes up to a second to react to any input. This isn't server lag, it includes inputting my name into the login box, or move the mouse on the login screen, where the only thing needing graphics support is the background of the dark portal.

Help would be appreciated.
Cheers,
B.

#2 2008-10-01 06:03:03

darthaxul

Re: Xorg, PCI Radeon 9200, and World of Warcraft.

never played that game but i think new games like that require at least 1gig ram,
did u try lowest setting for video game?
u cant dictate resolutions in xorg,conf, it should all be done by the driver.
add more ram.

#3 2008-10-01 11:04:02

brenton
Website

Re: Xorg, PCI Radeon 9200, and World of Warcraft.

It's true that it wants more RAM, but with swap space included, it shouldn't cause these problems, especially with something as simple as the login screen. People have played it on slower systems with less RAM.

Thanks for the feedback though. Any other ideas?

Board footer