I know there are some polish users of Arch on this forum. So if you know, how to force the newest mplayer to display polish fonts correctly...let me know.
I've tried everything so far, but none of the howto's seem to work and i run out of ideas :?
PS. Please post only those solutions that are checked and working.
Sciag fonty z www mplayera, wgraj do /usr/local/share/mplayer/fonts
Gnome - The weakest link!
Linux, *not* GNU/Linux!
Sorry but...nope, it's not working. I've tried this already. Here's what i did:
1. I 've downloaded fonts with proper encoding from mplayer site(tried both cp1250 and iso8859-2).
2. Copied the desired font size to /usr/share/mplayer/font.
3. Change the encoding in gmplayer menu to:
..and still i couldn't see the right fonts.
I just use verdana font (from ttf-ms-fonts package) for subtitles in mplayer/gmplayer and I also usually (if they are in windows-1250) convert subtitles file using iconv to iso-8859-2 (run iconv --help for available options).
My gmplayer settings:
Preferences/Subtitle&osd/Encoding: Slavic/Central European Languages (ISO-8859-2)
(all other checkboxes under this setting unchecked)
In file ~/.mplayer/config: vop=expand=0:-120:0:60
(last setting is to put subtitles under the "film area" not over it just because I like it this way :-))
I'm not using any special fonts with cp1250 encoding from mplayer site. My way is probably not the perfect one because you have to convert subtitles encoding first but at least it works :-)
I've edited my gui.conf to match some settings from a regular mplayer config file and it did the trick.
I also had to download CP1250 fonts from mplayer site and symlink them to /usr/share/mplayer/font directory. Now, i can finally watch divx movies with proper subs.
Anyways, thanks for the replies and great tips. I also prefer to have my subtitles below the movie area so i'll use that config line from lanrat with pleasure 8)