You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-03 17:03:44

fflarex

[(sort of) SOLVED] troubles w/ the compose key...

So yesterday I spent a good chunk of time figuring out how to easily input all the crazy symbols that a student of linguistics & Hindi like me needs. So I checked out SCIM for a few hours (should have only taken a few minutes, but there is no documentation whatsoever), and remapped my Menu key to Multi_key (Compose).

I'm having troubles with the compose key however. It won't work in terminal emulators any more (it only worked the first time I did the remapping, and I can't figure out what I've done differently since then). This is kinda frustrating, as I need it to work in terminals and I don't want to have to copy/paste it in there like I did before. It still works in other programs. Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: removed second problem I was having. Solved it myself. Still need help with terminals, however.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't solve it. Basically I can't figure out the compose key sequences. They don't line up with any references I've come across so far, nor with anything in /usr/share/X11/locale/iso8859-1 or /usr/share/xkb/keymaps/include/compose*

However, I did figure out that SCIM is somehow causing my troubles with the terminal. Still no solution, however...

EDIT: Okay, SCIM is causing both problems... this is a frustrating piece of software that, unfortunately, is too useful to give up.

Final EDIT: If nobody can offer a better solution, I've come up with a really nasty workaround that is annoying but functional. SCIM definitely deserves a few bug reports and feature requests from me after this.

Also, why do these forums never offer me any help when I have real problems instead of mild curiosities? I even have the courtesy to not fill up this thread with double posts (or is that not an annoyance here?).

Last edited by fflarex (2008-10-05 00:44:21)

Board footer