You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-04 18:51:45

cu3edweb

Openbox config issues

I need a few things answered or some help please. I am trying to get openbox set-up nicely but have a few problems

1. Can you still have auto-mount feature like in gnome when I put in a cd or a thumbdrive and it mounts and has a icon in my thunar or nautilus file manager. This isn't working for me in openbox. I set this in my autostart.sh:

gnome-mount &
gnome-volume-manager &

I saw that in someone elses and thought that is what it does.

2. I used thayer's settings for xcompmgr and it works great for everything except urxvt. urxvt leaves shadow trails if I move or resize it. Any ideas on that?

3. Is there a tray icon I can use for a battery monitor maybe the one from gnome I just don't know how to call it. I don't really want to use conky.

Thanks for any help.

#2 2008-10-04 19:06:40

burnside

Re: Openbox config issues

1. AFAIK Thunar doesn't use gnome-volume-manager, it uses exo-utils. You can start Thunar as a daemon with thunar --daemon and it will automatically pop up new windows when you insert a drive.

2. What are you using to set your wallpaper? I've had a similar experience with urxvt in other distros, it was something to do with feh.

3. gnome-power-manager.

#3 2008-10-04 19:14:30

cu3edweb

1. I forgot to mention that I did set thunar --daemon in my config but still this doesn't pop up any window.

2. I am using nitrogen --set-scaled

3. If I invoke the gnome-power-manager command nothing shows up in the tray?

Thanks

#4 2008-10-04 19:19:57

cu3edweb

Also if it matters I just tried feh and it does the same thing.

#5 2008-10-04 19:42:30

RaisedFist
Website

cu3edweb wrote:

1. I forgot to mention that I did set thunar --daemon in my config but still this doesn't pop up any window.

2. I am using nitrogen --set-scaled

3. If I invoke the gnome-power-manager command nothing shows up in the tray?

Thanks

3. make sure you started dbus. I also had this issue wink

#6 2008-10-04 19:55:55

cu3edweb

There is a section in the autostart.sh that I thought started dbus:

if which dbus-launch >/dev/null && test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS"; then
       eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session`
fi

If that is not the way to start it how do you? I have dbus in my daemons in rc.conf.

Last edited by cu3edweb (2008-10-04 19:57:35)

#7 2008-10-04 21:35:11

thayer
Fellow
Website

1. Can you still have auto-mount feature like in gnome when I put in a cd or a thumbdrive and it mounts and has a icon in my thunar or nautilus file manager. This isn't working for me in openbox.

pacman -S thunar-volman

Then go into Thunar's preferences and you'll see an option in the last tab for volume management preferences.

2. I used thayer's settings for xcompmgr and it works great for everything except urxvt. urxvt leaves shadow trails if I move or resize it. Any ideas on that?

I have experienced this sometimes too, but not consistently.  It may have something to with urxvt prefs in ~/.Xdefaults, but I can't say for sure.

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#8 2008-10-04 22:53:40

cu3edweb

I just checked and I did have thunar-volman installed and the settings were correct in the preferences but still no volume management? I have something wrong just not sure what?

***EDIT***

Nevermind I am an idiot somewhere along the line I deleted hal from my daemons list in rc.conf when I was testing something and forgot to put it back.

Thayer I get the shadow trail all the time  but oh well maybe it can be tracked down someday.

I am sure I will have more questions

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by cu3edweb (2008-10-04 23:07:59)

Board footer