You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-04 19:47:01

madeye
Website

OpenOffice weird behaviour on closing

This one is really weird. Let me first tell you the symptoms
If I start openoffice (calc or writer) and write something. Then close the program choosing 'Discard' in the "save changes" popup, the screen turn very dark, and the menu will only show the first list that shows up.
If I now activates another program from the task bar or the system tray, then everything goes back to normal again.

This behaviour only seem to happen if I have no other active windows on the desktop.

What I have tried to remove this behaviour is:
1.  re-install openoffice (openoffice-base 2.4.1-2)
2. toggle the 'export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=kde'
3. start calc from the command line

[madeye@archer ~]$ /opt/openoffice/program/soffice -calc                                                                                                                                                               
I18N: X Window System doesn't support locale "LC_CTYPE=en_DK.utf8;LC_NUMERIC=en_DK.utf8;LC_TIME=en_DK.utf8;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=en_DK.utf8;LC_MESSAGES=en_DK.utf8;LC_PAPER=en_DK.utf8;LC_NAME=en_DK.utf8;LC_ADDRESS=en_DK.utf8;LC_TELEPHONE=en_DK.utf8;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_DK.utf8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_DK.utf8"                                                                                                                        
I18N: Operating system doesn't support locale "en_US"                                                                                                                                                                
Qt: Locales not supported on X server

4. start calc from the commandline again after installing en_US locale (locale-gen)

[madeye@archer ~]$ /opt/openoffice/program/soffice -calc
I18N: X Window System doesn't support locale "LC_CTYPE=en_DK.utf8;LC_NUMERIC=en_DK.utf8;LC_TIME=en_DK.utf8;LC_COLLATE=C;LC_MONETARY=en_DK.utf8;LC_MESSAGES=en_DK.utf8;LC_PAPER=en_DK.utf8;LC_NAME=en_DK.utf8;LC_ADDRESS=en_DK.utf8;LC_TELEPHONE=en_DK.utf8;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_DK.utf8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_DK.utf8"
Qt: Locales not supported on X server

5. add 'US English' to the Regional & Language in system settings.

I have this behaviour on three different computers (all running arch)
They are all up2date.

Please let me know if you need additional information. I am so far out that I'm starting to get a headache thinking about this, so right now I am not sure what more I should do.

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

#2 2008-10-05 07:57:07

mandog

Re: OpenOffice weird behaviour on closing

Are you using kde4 if so I have the very same problem you describe. I also have a problem since the last updates with non KDE applications on drop down menus and buttons all highlights have changed to dark blue making them unreadable.

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#3 2008-10-05 08:21:40

madeye
Website

Yes, I am using kde4 (from arch. not kdemod).
I have only seen this behaviour on openoffice. But I probably don't use half the programs that are installed anyway, so I wouldn't notice it if other programs do the same. I will keep an eye out for other programs with the same problem.

One thing I have seen is that kopete is giving me an error everytime I logout/shutdown the system. Some kind of system error. Unfortunately I haven't written it down yet. Will do that next time I shutdown.

MadEye | Registered Linux user #167944 since 2000-02-28 | Homepage

#4 2008-10-05 09:26:59

mandog

I  downloaded the whole shooting match, on a clean install never set-up Arch KDE4 before I use Lxde, So I thought it was something I'd missed till I read this post. The non KDE4  problem I can live with but open-office, is very serious, saying that a lot of distros running KDE4 have problems more or less the same thing.

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

Board footer