You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-03 20:28:12

Narrator

[SOLVED] Installation problem...or maybe it's me?

OK, here we are again. I had a problem with my PPPoE connection in VirtualBox, so I decided to install it on a partition. Here's what I did:

In Partition Magic I created an unallocated space of about 25 Gigs. I  booted the ArchLinux core CD and chose to partition manually. This was the setup:

/dev/sda1    Windows\NTFS    Primary    (Windows is here. Don't touch this)
    /dev/sda5    Windows\NTFS    Logical    (Contains data...or whatever's left of it anyway. The last Windows reinstallation had a lot of problems. Mainly BSODs)
    /dev/sda6    Linux\Ext3        Logical    (50 Mb partition that I'd like to boot from)
    /dev/sda7    Linux\Ext3        Logical    (Root partition)
    /dev/sda8    Linux\Ext3        Logical    (Home partition)
    /dev/sda9    Linux\Ext3        Logical    (Swap partition)
I'm done here.

Then I mount the...uhh...mountpoints?.. Filesystems? I forget. I mount the swap in /dev/sda9, the root in /dev/sda7,  the boot in /dev/sda6 and the home in /dev/sda8. I'm done here.

Then I select the packages* I'd like to install; usually that means everything... give me a break, it's not like I know what they're for. Who knows, I may need them in the long run. Anyway, after that I install the packages. Done here.

Then I configure the system. Sort of. So far, so good.

Now all I have to do is install the bootloader, right? Well, apparently the installation disagrees with me... and with itself... which is weird. I enter Install Bootloader, I press OK a couple of times and then it shows me the contents of GRUB. I pretend like I've checked everything and continue. That's when it tells me to choose a partition to install GRUB onto. I choose /dev/sda6 - it's a no-go. I choose /dev/sda (overwrite the MBR) - still a no-go. It keeps saying "Error Installing GRUB" . I'm sure I'm missing something very simple but I can't figure it out.

Please help ASAP because I'm booting into Windows through the ArchLinux LiveCD. The MBR got screwed up in the process somehow. Thanks.

* If I just select "base-devel", will I be able to setup my PPPoE connection ( it's the type with username + password that obtains my IP address and DNS automatically) after the installation or do I have to select additional packages?

Last edited by Narrator (2008-10-07 06:52:28)

#2 2008-10-03 20:58:07

arch0r

Re: [SOLVED] Installation problem...or maybe it's me?

never use partition magic, this app is totally crappy.

boot the arch cd, delete all ext3 partition, write it on the disc and create them again manually with cfdisk. /boot should be a primary partition (but i don't know that for sure). create them and define the mountpoints. dl and install the packages. write the bootloader to /dev/sda and uncomment windows in the grub men.lst file. save + reboot.

#3 2008-10-03 21:06:45

Narrator

It's late now. I have to get some sleep. I will try this tomorrow and keep you posted. Thanks

#4 2008-10-04 12:55:49

Narrator

OK, it installed just fine. Thanks.

But now I have a major problem. I have no GUI. Here's what I did: I installed Arch, I installed KDEmod and then I installed a bunch of stuff for configuring X (like xf86-video-ati, x-server etc.). Now when I do "startx" it shows a complete mess. I have an ATI Radeon 9600, MAG monitor at 85 Hertz with 1024x768 resolution. I installed and configured so many things, I don't even remember what I might have done wrong. Please, what do I do after the KDEmod part?

#5 2008-10-04 13:06:02

arch0r

see the wiki for more informations: kde, xorg, ati

configure X (as root): Xorg -configure (test and move it to /etc/X11/xorg.conf)

nano /etc/inittab:

# Boot to console
#id:3:initdefault:
# Boot to X11
id:5:initdefault:

# Example lines for starting a login manager
#x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/xdm -nodaemon
#x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon
x:5:respawn:/opt/kde/bin/kdm -nodaemon
#x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >& /dev/null

Last edited by arch0r (2008-10-04 13:07:56)

#6 2008-10-04 16:04:53

Narrator

OK, I forgot to move the file. That's why it didn't work. Thanks.

OK, so far, so good. I have a lot of configuring to do but the three most important things I have to do now are 1. set up a new power user because I'm running as root right now, 2. figure out how to make KDM work. Currently KDM doesn't load on boot up... I have to log in and then start X. I tried the inittab method but nothing... and 3. my Hertz aren't set right. The screen has slightly slided to the left.

Edit: OK, scratch the second one. The path in "inittab" was wrong. Fixed it now.

Last edited by Narrator (2008-10-04 19:12:04)

#7 2008-10-06 01:25:13

lldmer

You might find it easier or more 'KISS' to put the daemons you want to autostart in rc.conf instead of inittab. See http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rc.conf#Daemons.
As for your screen, the refresh rates etc can often be found in /var/log/Xorg.0.log. e.g:

(**) fglrx(0): *Mode "1680x1050": 119.0 MHz (scaled from 0.0 MHz), 64.7 kHz, 60.0 Hz
(II) fglrx(0): Modeline "1680x1050"x60.0  119.00  1680 1728 1760 1840  1050 1053 1059 1080 +vsync (64.7 kHz)

See man xorg.conf on how to set this in your xorg.conf.
Are you sure however you don't just have to align the screen with the buttons on your screen?

Last edited by lldmer (2008-10-06 01:28:52)

For lack of better words: chair, never, toothbrush, really. Ohw, and fish!

#8 2008-10-06 19:29:44

Narrator

I did a reinstall with the base packages only. KDEmod looked a little different after that. Anyway, everything is almost fine now. I tried to add the right resolution with the correct Hz but it didn't work. I think it works only with the proprietary drivers. The same thing happens with every other distro. There may be a way to make it work with the open-source drivers. I'll look for a solution later. Thanks for your help people.

Edit: How do I mark a thread as solved?

Last edited by Narrator (2008-10-06 19:35:26)

#9 2008-10-06 19:41:54

teacha

Edit your post and add [Solved] in the thread subject.

teacha

Board footer