You are not logged in.

#1 2004-09-13 19:41:56

Moo-Crumpus

package: description of changes

Would'nt it be nice to have a more comfortable changelog information part in the package descriptions of http://www.archlinux.org/packages.php?

I kind of classifikation would be nice, to:

[x] Minor change
[  ] Major change
[  ] Source Version updated
[  ] Critical update, see readme for details!

I always have to guess if ipacman -Syu could take me an hour or more or less to reconfigure my machine.  :x

Btw. it would be nice to see that information on rss feed, too.

smile

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#2 2004-09-13 20:21:30

sarah31
Website

Re: package: description of changes

this has been asked to death.

i have no issues with having such things implimented but to first have a useful changelog you have to have useful input. maintaners often do not put reasons for upgrades.

the last reason this likely will not get implimented in the near future is because none has the time to do so.

the simplest way to make sure system upgrades do not take a long time or reconfiguring is necessary is to backup config files or add them to noupgrade sections. system upgrading every two or three days will also cut down on the time it takes.

if you have serious reconfiguration problems after system upgrades then you are either not paying attention to your installation warnings, following the news bulletins or your system is highly "hacked" and sloppily maintained.

sorry to be harsh but  this is just not the type of thing that is time feasible right now. imho.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-09-14 14:14:30

Moo-Crumpus

This is the kind of answer I supposed to recieve. Before I asked for changelogs, I wondered it there was enough power in the developping team for it, and feared, no. Just because linux progress is fast, and there are much other things to do.

No, my system is not over-hacked, or bad maintained, and I read the news, carefully. As the main focus of arch are ide systems, I have more problems here and then running a pure scsi system, and some minor issues as I have to run several special hardware and apps.

Just wanted to keep the demand alive, sarah31. Greetings from germany.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#4 2004-09-14 15:25:35

sarah31
Website

i think it would be good to have as it is oft requested but maybe we can push for it more once the new package submission system is in place. at that time perhaps the devs will have more time to develop a quicker, easier and more comprehensive changelog system.

it should be designed in a way as to not be a huge hassle to complete and post for the maintainers. one would hope they would use it too.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer